There are newer employer reviews for GE Power & Water

Happy at GE? - sort of....

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Minnetonka, MN
Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

Talented and hard working peers. Integrity, honesty. There are great opportunities, but can be difficult to obtain. Training is excellent, but not available to everyone. There are many opportunities to move laterally, but usually require geographic relocation and opportunities are dependant on ability to be known outside of your workgroup.

Cons

High pressure environment, fast work pace, heavy work loads, big stretch goals. Understaffed, difficult to get funding for approved projects. Do more with less environment. Lots of talk about taking big swings, inovation, creative solutions, but implementation is hampered by aversion to risk, and anecdotal stories of "we tried that and it did not work" but no data, no detials.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as the responsible, intelligent people they are. HR is terrible.

Other Employee Reviews for GE Power & Water

1. GE-Hitachi not a good place to work but has good benefits nonethless

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Health Insurance, benefits, flexible work schedule..etc GE due ot its large size and base of employees can negotiate much better benfits with Having the name of GE on your resume looks extremely good in your future career, esp for people like myself with only 3 yrs of engineering experience

Cons

GE-Hitachi, formerly, GE Nuclear before the alliance, has not delivered any Nuke in the last 30 yrs due to domestic animosity, economic, political and social climate that were unfavorable to Nuclear energy. As such, the management group were formed fairly recently (< 4 years) and have no major project management experience. As of Aug'08 I think the management still has plenty of things to do to make Nuclear Renaissance possible!

Advice to Management

Start making decision Know that the morale is low and start communicating what you are thinking, the long term vision and how you envision to accomplish the engineering tasks...

Needs a management shake up (GEMTEC)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dammam (Saudi Arabia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dammam (Saudi Arabia)

I worked at GE Power & Water (Less than a year)

Pros

The Brand, The People, Learning curve, professionalism, facilities, Leadership Programs

Cons

I had a manager who was so insecure that he used to give me a huge pile of paperwork just so I don't excel infront of the service center manager. He didn't even invite me to meetings even though I had a high honors degree from a top ranked engineering school.

Advice to Management

There is a huge difference between a manager and a leader. Know the difference and stop hiring managers with insecurities.