There are newer employer reviews for GE Power & Water

Happy at GE? - sort of....

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Minnetonka, MN
Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at GE Power & Water

Pros

Talented and hard working peers. Integrity, honesty. There are great opportunities, but can be difficult to obtain. Training is excellent, but not available to everyone. There are many opportunities to move laterally, but usually require geographic relocation and opportunities are dependant on ability to be known outside of your workgroup.

Cons

High pressure environment, fast work pace, heavy work loads, big stretch goals. Understaffed, difficult to get funding for approved projects. Do more with less environment. Lots of talk about taking big swings, inovation, creative solutions, but implementation is hampered by aversion to risk, and anecdotal stories of "we tried that and it did not work" but no data, no detials.

Treat your employees as the responsible, intelligent people they are. HR is terrible.

97 Other Employee Reviews for GE Power & Water (View Most Recent)

GE-Hitachi not a good place to work but has good benefits nonethless

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at GE Power & Water

Pros

Health Insurance, benefits, flexible work schedule..etc GE due ot its large size and base of employees can negotiate much better benfits with
    Having the name of GE on your resume looks extremely good in your future career, esp for people like myself with only 3 yrs of engineering experience

Cons

GE-Hitachi, formerly, GE Nuclear before the alliance, has not delivered any Nuke in the last 30 yrs due to domestic animosity, economic, political and social climate that were unfavorable to Nuclear energy. As such, the management group were formed fairly recently (< 4 years) and have no major project management experience. As of Aug'08 I think the management still has plenty of things to do to make Nuclear Renaissance possible!

Start making decision
    Know that the morale is low and start communicating what you are thinking, the long term vision and how you envision to accomplish the engineering tasks...

I had a very positive experience

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer () in Peterborough, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer () in Peterborough, ON (Canada)

I worked at GE Power & Water as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

- Very knowledgeable coworkers who are willing to answer questions/ help explain details.
    - Interesting projects to work on (non-routine work)
    - People either get along well or I was spared all the office politics

Cons

- Nuclear industry tends to move slowly, this company is no exception. All work will take a long time to complete and go through several stages of review which might seem unnecessary or redundant.

Have a more standardized method of training interns, as I felt there was a steep learning curve initially and a lot of self-learning required.

There are newer employer reviews for GE Power & Water