There are newer employer reviews for GE

Great company with excellent talent at all levels

Current Employee - IT Leader in Houston, TX
Current Employee - IT Leader in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE

Pros

~ Global opportunities in diverse industries ~ Ability to move between business/functions ~ Stability

Cons

~ Very strong culture and not a great fit for everyone ~ Emphasis on growth values in addition to performance

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

GE is the big business depicted in the classic movies

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at GE

Pros

The company is the only company that openly admits to employee online monitoring! I think that says a lot for their integrity! (A++) They maintain a amazing company educational cours4e library of several thousand personal. technical. and up to date business courses free for employees. And still offer tuition reimbursement incentives for educational facilities you may enroll in locally.. (Colleges, tech schools, etc) There is an annual program for the performance review process that is basically making you keep your resume up to date, and the emphasis is to use the new "buzz words" corporate feels is right for the times - after you take an in house class about them.. Their retirement plan is incredible, and remains the best I have ever seen for a big business, especially as so many other places phased them out. the heart of it is 100% company funded! I was in a target department during a RIF that was unfortunate to be involved in, but I also feel it was a wise bjusin3ess decision! I stayed my remaining 2 weeks making sure my project transitioned seamlessly for our customers. I am sure most people, including myself, would have simply left the same day at other companies!

Cons

The biggest downside is management always in a state of concern that they could be sacrificed to provide "the scape goat" needed to satisfy stockholder concerns over company profits and or projections. Watch a couple of the movies from the 50's where there are a dozen "yes men" always following the CEO around; or even realize most f the comments made by Jay Leno about GE (partners with NBC) are not fictional one liners - they are real! Even 30 Rock is a reflection of GE conglomerate day to day issues - but with a bit too much embellishment! Of course, they are well compensated for their stress and most stay loyal for their entire career, so is this really a con? I would return in a heartbeat!

Advice to Management

To management I can only recommend weeding out the active "yes men"! Don't fire them, just get back to basics on their own merits! Many of their predecessors have been guilty of this for over half a century, but I feel GE would be much stronger as a business in these troubled times, with the workforce becoming more loyal and projective as a result! But overall, GE's management does a fantastic job! Note: The CEO at GE receives a salary and compensation that appears excessive to the media and the public often misled by uninformed reporters. But he really is a great deal for GE in the big picture, and worth the price!

2. Best place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at GE

Pros

Great leadership, open culture, freedom to execute your ideas.

Cons

Healthcare benefits, stock price is languishing