GE

Tough environment

Current Employee - Controller  in  Fairfield, CT
Current Employee - Controller in Fairfield, CT

I have been working at GE

Pros

Challenging work, great technology, great people and opportunities to define your role. Multiple development opportunities in leadership, finance and IT

Cons

Bureaucracy and red tape, political and unspoken rules dictate how things are done but overall a decent place to work.

Increase base pay, start offering bonuses to all employees based on company performance and offer rotational assignments outside of FInance

2495 Other Employee Reviews for GE (View Most Recent)

Continuous learning environment. If you can deliver consistently, sky is the limit.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GE

Pros

Working with some of the best and smartest people in the world.
    The companies size allows them to take risks on people and put them in "bigger" jobs than they'd find elsewhere.
    Daily challenges and learning opportunities.
    Great employee feedback process

Cons

Hours at times can be extreme
    Sink or swim environment
    Large company, comes with some bureaucracy
    Some leaders seem to have survived regardless of performance (Minimal and often the exception to the rule)
    Salary can be lower than individuals market value early in career.

Continue to invest in new products and people. Technology is our key to winning.

Intelligent personnel, but a somewhat backstabbing environment. No real loyalty among employees and chain of command.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I worked at GE

Pros

Smart, driven and competent employees.

Cons

Senior management doesn't have great leadership ability. Managers are out for themselves, without any real training or motivation to develop subordinates. GE advertises flexible work/life arrangements and programs, but when you approach HR about these programs, they basically try to steer you away from utilizing the same programs that they brag about so much.

Consistent, specific feedback and regular performance counseling (whether that performance has been good, or bad!). Take care of your people and go to bat for them when interacting with more senior personnel. Do what you can to find out their own goals and help them to achieve them. I felt that most of the reviews I received at GE were considered a waste of time and more of an afterthought or annoying requirement by my chain of command, and I never got an real useful information in these reviews. Also, feedback should be formal and regular, not once a year.

There are newer employer reviews for GE

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!