politics triumphs over competence

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at GE

Pros

big company, good benefits. competitive pay. Conglomerate with various businesses, giving you an one stop shop for the opportunity of working for different industries

Cons

culture is not result-oriented. Office politics is the key for success, rather than professional accomplishments. High employee turnover ratio at the lower levels of the organization.

Advice to Management

Communicate expectations more clearly.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Disappointing....

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at GE

Pros

Interesting technology.
    Always something to learn

Cons

I am surprised so many people on this site are satisfied with GE. The employee experience for myself and virtually every other colleague I speak with is one of disappointment. This is reinforced by a high turnover of personel. The reputation for training GE has does not take place in my business unit, the quality at times is embarrasing. The disconnect between employees and leaders is vast. There is no support, teamwork, or cooperation. It is standard for emails not to be responded to. When we are the face of GE to the Customer we need support at times, it is not there. The was actually an article on the GE intranet last week called "Culture Shock" where it talked about the "exodus"of people. This too was reinforced by the internal GEOS (GE Opinion Survey) which confirms my comments. The culture in my business unit is subpar, period.

I am looking internally to get out of the unit I am in, otherwise life is too short to work here.

Advice to Management

Listen to Customers, listen to Employees

Not a place to work if you don't belive in nepotism. Watch your back.. Every man for himself!.

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at GE

Pros

Some great peers to work with. Ability to spend entire career at GE.

Cons

-GE is too big. Too impersonal.

-HR is corrupt. HR has way too much control over management. R in HR should be changed to C for "control". They are certainly not a resource.

-The head of HR for a large US Corp (relative of mine) once told me that GE (and most big companies) HR's two main goals: 1) Reduce cost. 2) Push the envelop (salary, tough metrics, etc.) with employees just enough without getting sued.

-Nepotism runs rampant ...people are in positions they don't belong in. It's like a cancer that is spreading.

-No use of 360 review system...it exists but not used.

-Way too much turnover of positions...people move up before they are ready or laterally into a position they shouldn't be in because they never performed it themselves.

-Most managers have never held the same role as their direct reports....how can you lead people if you have not done the job yourself? GE hires many veterans. In the military, a leader must know how to do the job above them and below them. Not at GE. I've seen many ex miltary leave GE, frustrated, after a short while because the style and structure of management is so upside down.

-Internal evaluation system is abused by HR. Some have described as fuzzy. I would equate it with quicksand. No matter what you do positive only negativity prevails....and it's used as leverage against your salary action or rating (rack and stack). HR requires managers to post two things you must improve upon every year.. Anything can be written by a manager and once it's in the system it is there for perpetuity even if comments are completely wrong and you post a rebuttal with your side of the story. Only the "negative" comments carry on into view of future hiring managers....the rebuttal comments by the employee do not. An employee's only recourse is to never acknowledge (checking a box) that you held a discussion with your manager. Checking that box says you agree with whatever they wrote in their assessment. Well, there is the option of hiring outside legal counsel to correct this but that is HIGHLY discouraged...in fact there is an agreement you acknowledge (a check box on a website basically) that says you cannot hire legal counsel for employment disputes...you have to use one of HR's Ombudsmen (an HR manager from some other dept)....they'll basically rule for HR and not for you just about 100% of the time.
    As for the fuzzy metrics.....that is a game played by HR and they are masters of bait and switch and slight of hand.

-There is no clear structure in the leadership chain....too many "dotted" line managers.

-Tons of backstabbing.

Advice to Management

Merit should dictate who gets what jobs. More carrot and less stick.