GE

www.ge.com

It’s a great company, but you have to be a GE type of guy !!

Current Employee - CPM  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - CPM in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Company has technically competitive advantage over competitors
-GE in your resume is very good
-Except for cost, Customers are generally satisfied with the services received
-Unlimited access to training Technical or Commercial
-Lot of Opportunities for growing (although up to some level)
-Benefits package is very competitive
-Sr level Managers are ok.

Cons

-As any other metric oriented company, there are a lot of work to do to have it met and correctly measure
-Salaries are bit short from when they should

Other Reviews for GE

disappointing

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Greenville, SC

I worked at GE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

are there any? well ... it was very easy to get an offer ... that is all ...

Cons

1-Managers DO NOT care about their employees. They can take months of vacation time. Go play golf with their other manager friends. Play "angry birds" at their desk during work time. BUT if you want to take 1-2 days off they question you. OR they tell you that "now is not the best time to take 1 day off" ... unbelievable!!!!

2- Again, managers DO NOT care about their employees. Whether something has been done properly or not does not matter to them. Whether their employees are happy or not does not matter to them. They take credit off of your every accomplishment as if they have anything to do with it, but when something goes wrong, they will burn you at the stake. They just want to get promoted and have big fat raises to their salaries.

3- When upper management make mistakes, workers, and engineers pay the price! As an engineer, my job is to build the engine as good as I can. As a manager your job is to find a customer for this engine. IF as a manager you can not find a customer, THEN it is your fault. Please resign your position to someone more competent. But nooooo ... those who are at the bottom of the packing order pay the price of the poor management.

4-It is a good company if you want to get a job straight out of college with bachelors degree. If you have a masters or phd, DO NOT even bother, your education or experience will not be valued at all ... you will take orders from someone who does not even know the science behind how things work inside the engine just because that person has been in the company more than you do.

5- There is too much bureaucracy! in order to get one simple task done, you have to fight with numerous people.

6- If you are planning to come here to work, you'd better be good at kissing a lot of a$$, agreeing with everything that your seniors tell you, or you will not get any raise/promotion any time soon.

7- The company is located in a VERY conservative area, and most of the employees are also very conservative and biased towards those come to the company outside the south (especially north east or the west).

8 - Check the stock values, since 2008 stock values of GE's competitors went back to their original value. Yet, GE is still half price. Obviously something is not going right. Instead of replacing those who put the company at it's current position, they are laying people off ... sure!!! lay people off ... then waste money and hire clueless new graduates ... train them ... waste money ... then lay them off to cover your mistakes ... :)

9- benefits? what is that mean? you will get the cheapest health insurance out there ... you will have to work on national holidays ... you will get the worst retirement benefits too ... GE cuts from its employees, so it can offer a sweet retirement to upper management ... i.e. check John Krenicki's retirement deal ... what did he do to deserve such a sweet deal? Did he invent the gas turbine?

10- The corporation made $14 billion dollar profit last year, but did not pay taxes ... what is the deal? why? I pay my taxes ...

11-I finally had enough and applied for positions in GE's competitors. Currently I work for a competitor in Jupiter Florida, and get paid $15K more :) I have better health and retirement benefits. I am not sure how many employees have to leave GE for upper management to realize that they have to treat their employees with a little more respect.

In the end we work for you! you do not own us!

your employees are not disposable, please treat them with respect! how many employees you have to lose to your competitors to realize that?

A great place to grow and build a career.

Current Employee - Material Controller II  in  Grove City, PA
    Current Employee - Material Controller II in Grove City, PA

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good working environment, family oriented people, good wages & benefits.

Cons

Every employer has cons, but the pros far outnumber them.

There are newer employer reviews for GE.

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!