OMLP Energy Experience

Current Employee - OMLP in Houston, TX
Current Employee - OMLP in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good rotations across businesses. Solid manufacturing and business training. Not as good at sourcing. Excellent opportunity to attain a Masters in Supply Chain from Penn State however there is a 4 year retention agreement requirement. Decent benefits.

Cons

The program manager for Energy does play favorites when it comes to deciding OMLP's position and location preferences. The Program Manager is very impersonal. His scope is very large with over 50 direct reports yields minimal if any one on one time or feedback on performance. Cost cutting is a constant struggle that can negatively impact the experience. Salary is non-competitive when compared with Oil & Gas companies, decently paid compared with other energy industries. There is a lot of "who you know" when it comes to getting the next position or getting things signed off on. Highly political environment. Frustrating getting through unnecessary red tape. Some positions lack oversight and accountability. Despite the reputation of Six Sigma at GE, there is a lack of worthwhile and meaningful projects yielding realistic results.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Top pay for talent and company makes a profit regardless

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Schenectady, NY

I worked at GE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As long as you get your job done, no one bothers you. Loved my co-workers. I was able to work from home as necessary. Many benefits such as 20 sick days a year.

Cons

Manager frequently said India engineers would work at half our salary. Had 3 (remote) mangers in a year so no decent review. RIF'd then then offered another position similar responsibilites at 50% previous wages. Lost 401k contribution because I wasn't vested at no fault of my own.

Advice to Management

Invest in your talent and retain them. Everyone I talk to has done a stint at GE and gladly left.

Easy to Get Lost in the Crowd

Former Intern - EID Intern in Greenville, SC
    Former Intern - EID Intern in Greenville, SC

I worked at GE as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, Established culture, Good pay

Cons

Easy for good talent to be dwarfed by all the other talented people, Too much bureaucracy, Strong resistance to change