There are newer employer reviews for GE

Great People, Little Room for Manouver

Former Employee - Program Manager in Columbus, OH
Former Employee - Program Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at GE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great motivated and driven co-workers

Cons

Do not join as a direct hire - all upper management, and I really do mean all, enter via the various Leadership training programs straight out of College.

Advice to Management

Do try to actually manage your direct reports, stop managing up so often

reviews filtered by
  1. Summer Software Engineering In Seattle

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at GE as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Seattle GE Healthcare office for 3 months as an Edison Engineering intern. The experience had good benefits and pay, and little micromanagement. I was able to present my work at all hands meetings, which made me feel like a part of the team. Seattle is pleasant in the summer

Cons

Slow corporate feel, lack of young employees, cubicle life, filling out goals was a pain. This particular office seemed to be on the decline, with layoffs happening during my brief stay. The environment was far from electric

Advice to Management

Foster a more collaborative environment

Good challenges, but has a tendency to jade you.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at GE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

GE will constantly provide you with great challenges which will push you to your limit every day. The management tends to be friendly, and most people there care about you as a person and employee.

Cons

The bureaucracy of most large companies are bad, and GE is one of the largest. If you can't play the political game you are either shoehorned into a particular role or forgotten about. Old-world style managers will make their way upwards while very talented individuals will be used for their abilities, but will ultimately suffer in their personal lives as a result. You can make it big at GE--for a price.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees. Get out of your bubbles, but don't go so far as to micromanage. The world isn't GE, you can't expect our customers to think as we do internally so be a little more realistic about what GE is and what we can provide as employees.

There are newer employer reviews for GE