GE Houston Horrible took a 10K pay cut just to get away

Former Employee - Senior Field ServiceTechnician in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Senior Field ServiceTechnician in Houston, TX

I worked at GE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

competitive pay is about the only positive thing i can say about this company but with the benefits getting as bad as they were i'm not even sure if the pay makes up for it.

Cons

Horrible management, GE bought our offshore service company and brought in their own management. They had no idea about our industry and no idea about our product. They didn't follow our policies or their own, if you had an issue and it actually fell under a policy they would just change the policy or ignore it all together. They skimped on everything from tools, supplies, software, you name it, it wasn't uncommon to bring something from home just to be able to complete a job. There was also a horrible attitude when it came to the customers so long as the customer didn't know it was wrong then it was okay. This attitude was directly from our upper management and just had a trickle down effect. It was definitely a blame game with very little accountability.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate, put a little more value in actual experience, we had guys with 10+ years of experience leaving left and right because of our management or lack of.

Other Employee Reviews for GE

1. Fun place to work

Former Intern - Engineering in Buffalo, NY
    Former Intern - Engineering in Buffalo, NY

I worked at GE as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As an entry level or intern work is extremely hands on 50% on shop floor and 50% in office. Great learning environment.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. most employees work at least 10 hour work days.

Advice to Management

Work/life balance should be encouraged more.

So far, GE Software has given me unbelievable support, recognition and opportunities for growth.

Current Employee - Director in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at GE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Market-competitive compensation - Smart, team-oriented and supportive colleagues - Commitment to excellence and to GE Values

Cons

- Commute to San Ramon is unpleasant, for most tech professionals - Open work space approach works well for developers and engineers, but is disastrous for Marketing, HR, Finance. Difficult to impossible to hold effective meetings (even by phone) or to do any sort of critical or abstract thinking

Advice to Management

- Consider the best of Silicon Valley approaches to improve location challenge 1) Satellite offices 2) Work from home flexibility 3) Company shuttles - Ditto with open work space challenge -- build offices for your top talent.