GE

www.ge.com
  www.ge.com
There are newer employer reviews for GE

Great place for an intern

I worked at GE as an intern

Pros

Very helpful coworkers. Got me involved in interesting projects that were relevant to where I wanted to take my career.

Cons

It is a pretty large company, so projects don't move as quickly as in smaller companies and it's hard to see all the aspects of the projects you are working on.

2549 Other Employee Reviews for GE (View Most Recent)

Warm bodies wanted

Former Employee - Lead User Experience Designer  in  San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Lead User Experience Designer in San Ramon, CA

I worked at GE as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

One of the few larger employers in the East Bay that is aggressively hiring
    Lots of projects
    Opportunities if you want them, but do you want to design circuit breaker software?
    Offices are nice, but they want you in the office 5 days a week, 9 hours a day.
    International travel if you want it

Cons

GE is hiring warm bodies, without regards to passions, desires, skillsets.
    I was hired, told I was doing one thing, ended up doing another, something I had no expertise in. I had to start right away but sat on my ass for the first 3 weeks waiting on a computer, a project, software, etc while GE took their time. I got paid, but it's not really a situation I like being, getting paid, going into an office and doing nothing. I'd rather take a vacation, get back to me when you have the stuff I need to get to work.
    Projects are not that exciting. They convey to you are they are on the 'cutting edge', but no not really
    No work from home

If you are hiring well know people in the industry with lots of experience in a specific industry or specific skillset, then use that experience. People have specific passions/expertise that motivates them, you'll lose the people when they figure out that GE is hiring warm bodies (extremely senior warm bodies) who will get bored quickly and leave.

So far, GE Software has given me unbelievable support, recognition and opportunities for growth.

Current Employee - Director  in  San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at GE full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Market-competitive compensation
    - Smart, team-oriented and supportive colleagues
    - Commitment to excellence and to GE Values

Cons

- Commute to San Ramon is unpleasant, for most tech professionals
    - Open work space approach works well for developers and engineers, but is disastrous for Marketing, HR, Finance. Difficult to impossible to hold effective meetings (even by phone) or to do any sort of critical or abstract thinking

- Consider the best of Silicon Valley approaches to improve location challenge
    1) Satellite offices
    2) Work from home flexibility
    3) Company shuttles

- Ditto with open work space challenge -- build offices for your top talent.

There are newer employer reviews for GE

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!