GE

There are newer employer reviews for GE

GE renewables

Current Employee - Commercial Manager in Schenectady, NY
Current Employee - Commercial Manager in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at GE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Experienced leadership. GE is a big global player in the energy space (its technology powers ~25% of global energy needs). Company invest in growing its ppl, ex. training, leadership programs.

Cons

Schenectady NY is an awful location for young and single people. Sometimes too much of traditional conservative and bureaucratic company. Little diversity results homogeneous narrow minded culture.

Better location will attract more diverse talent

2883 Other Employee Reviews for GE (View Most Recent)

Ineffective Management and Infrastructure

Former Employee - Field Service Representative
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative

I worked at GE full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy to purchase required tools as long as they weren't too expensive.
    Very large support system
    Many knowledgeable technicians employed

Cons

Pandering to customer throughout unreasonable requests
    Too large to accomplish anything effective
    Unavailability of required operating documents

The customer DOES have a limited culpability sometimes. Very difficult to achieve contract specifications if the customer maintains their equipment out of specification. A relationship with a client is supposed to be a symbiotic one.

Good for the right person, in the right segment, under the right people

I worked at GE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good, honest lower level employees. Good advancement opportunity if you like to move and kiss the right rear ends... Great advancement oppurtunities if you are a minority and female. Strong focus on training and personal development.

Cons

I can only comment on one specific segment of this company, but can honestly say middle management did not walk the talk of upper management. I actually witnessed our business leader cheat twice at company functions and preach about integrity and accountability the next day!! No joke... it made me sick to my stomach. Others managed with very unfair, underhanded tactics... Of course, they got promoted! Management often made decisions that were costly and doomed from day 1, which the people on the ground recognized immediately but could say nothing. Some employees were assigned major projects and spent months completing the assigned tasks only to have all their work scrapped for another last minute decision. Very poor forecasting and direction. Crazy pay variances- up to $20k differences for the same job. One supervisor made less than the people they hired. Of course, discussing salaries with peers was grounds for dismissal. Review process was unfair and did not motivate. Ratings were handed out on percentage guidelines. Only x% could be rated excellent, x% good, etc. Friends and favorites got the high ratings while others often found random, subjective, unverifiable complaints never mentioned before the review that lowered ratings and raises. When questioned about one review during an outstanding year, my supervisor simply said "Well, I had to write something negative!" It was a joke! Good benefits have dwindled to very poor ones. Frequent buy-outs caused instability... I interviewed for my current position three times! There were also frequent layoffs to cut costs... all while we still made money in stressed financial times. Current employees in my old position report being overworked, underappreciated and afraid to say a word for fear of winding up on the next chopping block.

Practice what you preach... Talk to the ground level employees before making decisions you know nothing about... Don't set an arbitrary deadline for a decision or project and rush to a poor result... Reward employees fairly based on facts... Keep reducing benefits and you will not retain your stars employees.

There are newer employer reviews for GE