GE

www.ge.com

GE Security is a fraction of what it could be

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Arden Hills, MN
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arden Hills, MN

Pros

The company has great compensation. Working for GE is currently looked at as being a positive when trying to find a new job.

Cons

Instead of trying to grow most of the aquasitions, GE consistantly focuses on making profit by cutting the bottom line. They constantly look for cheaper ways to build product. While this basic idea is not a bad thing, their presure to do this is extreme. After some time, the quality goes.

Their employees are only numbers to them. Their basic policy is to force out 10% every year. They do this by forcing managers to put 10% of their people into a catagory indicating they are sub-par. This should be based on the managers opinion, not some moron in Bradenton!!!

1) Listen to your people. I mean the workers, not managers.
2) Think further out than next quarter. Every year, management says the are going to do this, but it does not happen.
3) Listen to your customers. Not just the largest 2 of them.

Other reviews for GE

I don't think it is fair to create bad reviews when most of your problems are created by your manager.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Unknown at this time
    GE purchased our company so I never felt the GE way of life

Cons

When GE purchased my company, they purchased another company and kept most of their arse managers.

Do not purchase companies and merge them without knowing the culture of each company. They may not get along.

From Employer of Choice to Middle of the Pack

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

A variety of roles and career paths available. You have the opportunity to stretch yourself in jobs. Always something new to learn and a challenge to solve. A variety of business units to work in covering different industries.

Cons

In 2010 GE will be switching its medical benefits in the United States that will drastically increase the medical costs to employees. Further all salaried employees have not received salary increases since 2008. I am not sure how the company thinks employees will be able to afford these additional costs without being compensated. GE is moving from employer of choice to middle of the pack. Years ago you could depend on GE to be stable and not worry about losing your job. You also had great medical and retirement benefits. Today you can get laid off at any time and your medical benefit costs will increase by 150% with 0% salary increase. Not to mention that the company has historically had lower than average salaries. I believe that in employees will have to seriously take this into consideration before joining the GE team in the future.

Focus on your employees. If you make them successful the company will follow. Stop letting the government dictate the way we operate our business.

There are newer employer reviews for GE.

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!