GE

www.ge.com
There are newer employer reviews for GE

A great place to work, if you can keep up with the pace.

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Memphis, TN
Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at GE

Pros

Explosive career opportunities -- you can stay within GE, but move from business to business with unlimited growth potential.

Cons

It is huge - which means that each business does things differently. It's hard to leverage best practices when you spend all of your time trying to identify who's doing it "right."

Keep looking all the way to the "bottom" when you look at potential talent. If you come in at the bottom of an acquired company, it's hard to get exposure to "Big GE." Help us out!

2799 Other Employee Reviews for GE (View Most Recent)

Working for General Electric

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at GE

Pros

GE Energy Services has great benefits when it comes to medical and dental. GE also has a decent vacation schedule. Management is very good at recognizing talent and they are proactive in assisting those inclined with initiative to move up the ladder. GE is a fortune 500 company with world wide name recognition. GE also is very pro-military which is a huge plus to our Nations Veterans.

Cons

Pay at General Electric is subpar compared to others in the surrounding region. We've lost alot of personnel over lack of pay. GE also does not give out any type of bonus compensation. This is another reason we've experienced such a large turnover in the last 12 months. Most other power plants have a bonus program as well as pay more. Another problem GE faces is they have gotten so big and have become so diverse they have actually over-complicated the most simplest of tasks. Too uch micro-managing. This tends to leave one wondering at the end of the day just what exactly did get accomplished.

Pay more "per hour" wages to hourly employees, as well as more annual salaries to salaried staff. Start offering bonus incentives to hourly personnel. Increase employer contributions to 401K (current rate is 50 cents on the dollar up to 3.5% if you put in atleast 7%). Simplify and streamline processes. Quit creating programs on how to create programs (So to speak)

GE...not so great.

Former Employee - PeopleSoft Analyst in Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - PeopleSoft Analyst in Schenectady, NY

I worked at GE

Pros

It looks really good on your resume. The company's name has some prestige to it.

Cons

Top management would not talk to you if you were a lowly analyst. They work you to the bone and don't pay you enough. Although GE is the top company in the world, it does not feel like that when you are working there. Alot of management had absolutely no people skills; they just knew how to work alot of hours. I had a supervisor who made inappropriate comments to interns and they did nothing. There were also a contract employee who was sexually harassing women and they did nothing with him. Alot of employees at GE hated life and their jobs.

Practice that open door policy.

There are newer employer reviews for GE