GE

www.ge.com

Excellent company, lot of opportunity spanning various industries and ability to move into various roles.

Current Employee - IT Team Leader  in  Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - IT Team Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training and employee avocation. Due to the large size of the business, there a full range of activities that can keep you busy through your career. Lots of opportunity to grow your career and continue to take on new challenges.

Cons

Large corporate company feeling - older primarily industrial business. Work life balance can be low depending on your role.

Other Reviews for GE

Depending on where you are

I worked at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

As all he big companies, you belong to a big structure where you don't need to figure out everything yourself. They will train you, feed you, and provide processes for almost everything. And it's a very diverse environment where you can be exposed to all kinds of people.

Cons

My business unit was later split from GE to form a JV with another company. It's very common for GE. And sometimes it's good, sometimes not so much. In the middle of this transition, my feeling is: employees really don't have a say. The decision-makers who are deciding your future are mostly out of this. Their interests are untouched.

When doing JV, please consider giving more options to employees - options that do make a sense.

Rewarding if your willing to work for it.

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of room for growth. If your willing to put forth the effort leadership typically notices and rewards you with it through promotions. The people that GE hires are on a caliber unlike any company out there. They spend the money to get better people and the DJIA is proof of that from a longevity stand point.

Cons

Although I can see how it wasn't sustainable for Jack Welch's 10% mentality, GE has grown "soft" in that they will let dead weight hang around for a little to long (industry specific of course). The management doesn't come around unless its a photo opportunity. Not a good way to "rally the troops". In my 16 months with GE I have not heard and or seen our division President visiting any place or attempting to reach out to us. Our business unit is not very big so its a shame that they don't take the time to visit those driving the actual profit. Money isn't made in cubicles, its made with the products we sell.

Visit your people. Don't let HR drive the boat....they can help navigate....maybe backup navigate. Don't drive unattainable margin increases, all you are doing is setting up mediocrity and disappointment.

There are newer employer reviews for GE.

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!