There are newer employer reviews for GE

The grass isn't greener here

Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT
Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to learn a variety of roles. They offer many leadership development programs - some good, some so-so. If you can identify a good one, you should take advantage - they are resume builders. Benefits are good, too. Also, opening up the braintrust of a world - literally - of folks is very interesting.

Cons

If you want to move up, you need to move to less-than-desirable parts of the country. There can be too much analysis around projects - and someone is always quick to launch an unnecessary six sigma initiative around something. If you want to increase your pay, you need to jump to different business units. There's also a huge good old boy network - many people are still in positions that should have been eliminated some time ago.

Be authentic. You reduce workforce on a schedule - all the other efforts to show you 'care' are fake. For example - having business leaders participate on company-wide SameTime (proprietary instant messaging) sessions is great - I wonder how people would feel if they knew you had communicators prescreening and scripting answers? Posters and groups and newsletters is phony when the leaders view staff as numbers rather than individuals.

reviews filtered by

Very smart people but the politics will kill you.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GE

Pros

Very smart people but not the most innovative. Plenty of opportunities to learn. Being part of the GE family.

Cons

Older management and workers (engineers) slowing down the business. Communication between P&Ls happens at the top level or by chance. Food in the Atlanta and Schenectady campus is expensive and worse than prison food. Schenectady is a very depressing place to work.

Need better communication with the P&L's.

2. The best job i ever had.

Former Employee - Programmer in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Programmer in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE

Pros

Amazing place to work, makes you feel great about what you do. The money is great. The benefits packages ensure you are well covered. There is alot of focus on recognition which is great for boosting employee morale. Bonuses are great.

Cons

Heavy, Heavy Workload, fast paced...LONG DAYS.

Understand that although we love our jobs, we love our family more.

There are newer employer reviews for GE