GE

www.ge.com
  www.ge.com
There are newer employer reviews for GE

The grass isn't greener here

Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT
Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to learn a variety of roles. They offer many leadership development programs - some good, some so-so. If you can identify a good one, you should take advantage - they are resume builders. Benefits are good, too. Also, opening up the braintrust of a world - literally - of folks is very interesting.

Cons

If you want to move up, you need to move to less-than-desirable parts of the country. There can be too much analysis around projects - and someone is always quick to launch an unnecessary six sigma initiative around something. If you want to increase your pay, you need to jump to different business units. There's also a huge good old boy network - many people are still in positions that should have been eliminated some time ago.

Be authentic. You reduce workforce on a schedule - all the other efforts to show you 'care' are fake. For example - having business leaders participate on company-wide SameTime (proprietary instant messaging) sessions is great - I wonder how people would feel if they knew you had communicators prescreening and scripting answers? Posters and groups and newsletters is phony when the leaders view staff as numbers rather than individuals.

2613 Other Employee Reviews for GE (View Most Recent)

The best job i ever had.

Former Employee - Programmer in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Programmer in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE

Pros

Amazing place to work, makes you feel great about what you do. The money is great. The benefits packages ensure you are well covered. There is alot of focus on recognition which is great for boosting employee morale. Bonuses are great.

Cons

Heavy, Heavy Workload, fast paced...LONG DAYS.

Understand that although we love our jobs, we love our family more.

Came to build my resume, then decided to stay (hopefully for life)

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at GE

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth. Do not have to stay in a job for years while you are bored. The benefits are very good as well. It is one of the few companies that still offers a pension as well as a 401-K. I am only 31 and this is VERY important to me.

Cons

There are sometimes a lot of "politics" which comes with most companies. Job pressure is greater than average. I think that people often work longer than average hours for average pay (although with benefits I think it is competitive in my area)

Take a longer term focus. The focus on this quarter is overwhelming and often drives the wrong decisions. people manage their metrics rather than focussing on what will be right in the long run.

There are newer employer reviews for GE