There are newer employer reviews for GE Transportation

Decent place to work, but can be boring

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Grain Valley, MO
Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Grain Valley, MO

Pros

Working for GE allows to a lot of opportunities to move around, especially for interns. There are a number of programs available that allow for quick advancement and rotational positions. GE is a big company, but my location was pretty felt small and sedated. Being a intern I don't really know what kind of benefits full time employees get, but I get the impression that GE benefits are pretty decent. I liked my coworkers.

Cons

Unfortunately, as an intern I didn't get much interesting work to do. I didn't get much real useful experience. Employee services like Payroll and IT are centralized and/or outsourced, and are thus a nightmare to work with. It took a week or two just to get setup to use a computer, and a few more just to get a paycheck.

Advice to Management

I didn't really have interactions with senior management.

Other Employee Reviews for GE Transportation

Avoid if you can.....

Current Employee - Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Melbourne, FL

Pros

Working for GE Transportation can be a rewarding experience depending on what your specific job function is and which product team you are working for. Overall the products that are being worked on have a degree of intrigue associated with them which allows for interesting job responsibilities. The ability to work in on the conceptual part of the job and then go out to the field, in the locomotive/rail environment, is probably one of the most rewarding parts of this job.

Cons

Depending on which product you are working for, management is not very employee inclusive and this comes from the top down. Instead of treating employees as individuals many in management will treat employees rather as a number (property) which does not foster a high morale work environment. There are of course always exceptions to the rule, however based on which product you are working for, coming from the top down this is how things are done at GE. They are good at managing technical information, but very poor at knowing how to manage people, processes, and policy.

Advice to Management

To understand that the employees are what drives success at GE Transportation, and that they are individuals and should be treated as such rather than as a single sign on number. Employees should be treated as volunteers as opposed to personal property that is owned. When an individual wants to do something, the quality is going to be exceptionally better as opposed to them being ordered to do something.

2. Good place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at GE Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jfwtc, flexible timings, challenging job in my case, opportunity to learn experiment implement..

Cons

Level are less which makes you feel like you are not growing when compared to friends outside..