There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

Not what its cracked up to be

Former Employee - Supervisor Leadership Program in Virginia Beach, VA
Former Employee - Supervisor Leadership Program in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at GEICO

Pros

If you need a job to start your career, the pay and benefits are good. Profit sharing is good.

Cons

Promotions are based on who you know or if some one likes you or not, rarely is it about your performance. Perfomance plays a very minimal part in you getting promoted. The company is not very personal life friendly. Many of senior management are not Bachelors degree or higher and if you come in with a degree they secretly place obstacles in your way or talk about you so you dont advance. I believe many non degreed in management are treatened by that. Unrealistic goals while preaching that the're agent comes first.

Advice to Management

Get to know your people, take your personal feelings out of the promotion decision and base your decision on performance.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. claims at geico

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in San Diego, CA

I worked at GEICO

Pros

Great benefits and competitive pay

Cons

It is sometimes more about goals than true results

Advice to Management

Look at overall results, not just the matrix goals

A GREAT company to work for!

Current Employee - Claims Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

There are tons of opportunities to advance. With the economy the way it is, GEICO is one of the few companies that is doing well and growing. The salaries are competitive, management is responsive to input from the associates, and the benefits are good. If you want opportunities to move throught the country and want to stay with the same company, GEICO would be hard to beat. Profit sharing over the years has also been excellent and the benefits are good. Being owned by Berkshire Hathaway is also a plus in that it provides some financial security and opportunity for continued growth.

Cons

Not a downside, but you are expected to work hard. Having said that; however, the rewards (in the form of opportunities for promotion and profit sharing) are worth it. A downside for some may be the amount of time spent on the telephone or tied to a desk. As a call center handling sales, service and claims calls, a large amount of the work force is tied to the telephone assisting our customers. It seems like every aspect of the process is monitored and goals are set for everything, so it can be daunting at times to meet all the goals.

Advice to Management

That we don't rest on our laurels. I sometimes think that we are resistant to change in part because we have been so successful.