There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

The pay-off for a rigid culture is little to no advancement.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Pros

The salary is pretty good and after a while the benefits such as profit sharing and insurance are worth it.

Cons

The work is very repetitive and it involves an individuals finances... over the phone. Some of my colleagues had been with the company for almost a decade and the only real advancement were pay raises and more responsibility. Those with leadership ability were not developed.

Other Employee Reviews for GEICO

"A Truly Terrible Place to Work"

Former Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good health insurance benefits, good training

Cons

I was hired in 2011 for a "sales" position. I thought it was auto insurance sales, but it turned out to be boat insurance. I figured it would be an interesting challenge, so I went along with it. I completed the licensing training (which was excellent) and the sales training (which was so-so). I started on the floor, and I was horrified at the level of micro-management and criticism that was dished out to the employees. Every minute of your day is scrutinized. People listen to your phone calls anonymously and side-by-side for the sole purpose, it seems, of criticizing the employees and making them feel terrible about their jobs. The managers are small-minded and terrified for their own jobs, and managers in that department were some of the weakest and most inefficient that I have ever had the displeasure of working for, I kept approaching the managers to find out why they were giving me such low scores on my phone calls, since I had never received a customer complaint and I had never had a policy returned for errors. In fact, the customers frequently complimented me and told me how helpful I had been! I rarely received any positive feedback from the bosses (if that is what you want to call them), and it quickly became clear to me that they were doing what they could do rush me and others employees who did not bow and scrape out the the door. I was fired without warning, but it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I wne to HR to request that an investigation be conducted regarding my firing, and I was told that would happen. Of course, it did not... no surprise. Every day was a grind, and it is no wonder that turnover is sky-high, Every weekend there is a job fair - not because of growth, but because they have to replace the employees who were fired that week.

Advice to Management

Get a handle on your managers!

OVER STRESSED

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Steady Paycheck Health Benefits Training Nice co-workers Regular Schedule

Cons

always stressed micromanaged just a numbered seat filler. Unfair workplace/management If your considering working for GEICO run as fast as you can!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like a person not a number. People will make mistakes but you are so quick to fire people. Your turnover rate will always be high because of the environment. No compassion at all for people. I wish I hadnt wasted 9 years of my life there.