There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

Solid, Safe and Secure

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very stable company with benefits. Treats its employees well, and truly cares about its customers/policyholders, offering suggestions that would indeed help the customers protect themselves better.

Cons

Management tends to micro-manage its associates to a level of exasperation. The goals tend to be trivial in some areas, causing the experience to come off as disingenuous... even if the agent is being fully genuine.

Please allow some lateral/peripheral movement within the customer interaction for the agent so that personality and life can come through the experience for the customer.

826 Other Employee Reviews for GEICO (View Most Recent)

Sweatshop.

Former Employee - Underwriter  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Tucson, AZ

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is decent pay, and excellent benefits. Fairly thorough training and lots of feedback, you don't have to pay your own licensing fees.

Cons

First, the pay is decent for the area, but not worth the volume of work you're given or the draconian standards you're held to. Every other insurance company offers less stressful and higher paying work in the same industry.

The performance goals start reasonably enough, but every time you exceed those goal, that is then made the standard. If you continue to do well, the standard continues to increase until the best you can do is average or slightly under, which they then use to justify giving you the bare minimum raise, or worse---no raise at all.

Their idea of promoting within is to give someone a lateral "promotion" wherein they are doing the jobs of their supervisors for the same pay they were getting before, then they "rotate" you back into your original position occassionally, essentially to show you that the job you were doing was a privilege to be granted and removed by the company. After years of doing this, if you're lucky, you get granted a promotion, and in most cases get a marginal pay increase for your troubles.

The sole goal of this company is growth, not the care of their policyholders or their employees. In order to advance in any meaningful way you have to take classes like "Getting Results Through People" where they specifically train you on how to manipulate your underlings into not feeling too good about their performance so you can justify holding off raises. There's also a class called "Winning Attitudes" for the underlings to essentially tell them all "keep your mouth shut and your head down, and if you have a problem with that we offer four free telephone emotional counseling sessions to help you with that". This place is a death trap. I got out, and unfortunately my fiancee is still there---it's making us both miserable.

Look in the mirror, and figure out how you live with yourselves.

I feel like an ant and a kid is standing over me with a magnifying glass

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good entry level job to get your foot in the door. This is one of the better jobs in buffalo for people who haven't gotten a degree yet.

Cons

The micromanaging has gotten out of hand. Everything you say on the phone is watched carefully. If you say one thing wrong and the whole call will count against you. Even bathroom breaks are monitored.

There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!