GEICO

www.geico.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

Fast growing company that could benefit from its own advice.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway providing near complete job security. Above average benefits package for a private company. Third largest and fastest growing auto insurance company in the US (soon to overtake Allstate as #2). Good developmental opportunities for early leadership roles and to gain management experience and skills that can be translated elsewhere. Wide range of job functions available and offices all around the US.

Cons

Salaries are consistently below the industry average. The company has clearly established operating principles that in theory would create a wonderful working environment for associates and support the concept of a meritocracy. These concepts unfortunately are not applied consistently by management. Producing results, supporting and promoting your associates, decision making based on quantitative information, hard work and dedication are said to be what leads to promotions. At times it is moreso who likes you and how well you can distract with vague or flowery speech. Members of management also tend to be very sensitive to direct and pointed feedback and take things personally too often. While there are multiple opportunities for advancement there are other companies out there that are better at practicing what they preach and upholding an environment of a true meritocracy.

Hold people accountable for the results they produce and don't make it so acceptable for members of management to not follow through or be unprepared on a regular basis. The company should be more introspective and self-critical. There is a lot of talk about what/who can improve, but less practical attention to what will be done about it. Lots of time and salary dollars go into the planning process and yet more than half of the action plans go unworked only to be repackaged and rephrased the next year. That doesn't support continuous improvement. True accountability wouldn't allow for core results to be poor from one month and year to the next with little to no improvement.

1007 Other Employee Reviews for GEICO (View Most Recent)

I would pass..

Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Buffalo, NY

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Base Pay to start entry level, promotes from within

Cons

Stressful job, hence the high turnover, hard to get promoted

It's understandable that you need to have your agents on the phones but the tendency to get burned out is extremely high. People are not robots and have frustrations and a natural competitive edge to succeed, try to prolong the burn-out phase by giving more breaks from calls to regroup. I feel that would lead to higher morale and lower turnover.

Corporate Call Center, Stressful/Negative atmosphere, Belittling Managers

Former Employee - TA I Claims Adjuster in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - TA I Claims Adjuster in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time

Pros

-Salary- At 40k starting out in the Fredericksburg area, that is really high compared to salaries with other companys.
    -No Commute
    -Great Benefits

Cons

-Call Center- need I say more? You are constantly being listened to, graded on almost unattainable expectations, worried to death by your managers if you say the "wrong" thing to a customer and headquarters might be listening to your call. I was downgraded for the silliest things, I am not a robot, I am a normal human being and customers would rather want to hear a normal person talking to them on the phone.
    - All jobs are stressful, but the fact that you are glued to a phone in a cubicle just made it worse.
    - "Low cost provider" cheap office equipment, old computers, get with the times!!
    -ALWAYS hiring-- managers and hr will tell you its because they are growing, NOPE its because people are always quitting.
    -I made the mistake of leaving my previous job to come to GEICO solely on the fact that it was a significantly higher salary. I should have really thought about what I was getting myself into. If you are thinking about getting a job at GEICO, especially in the claims department, ,really think about what the working environment will be like. You do not have any face to face contact with your customers, its an extremely stressful time for them, so they are going to be rude and impatient.The fact that your only contact with them is over the phone, they will have more...(how do I say this appropriately) "confidence" in speaking rudely to you because they will never see you in person. There is 4 months of training, but I think half of it was wasted on irrelevant topics and corny training exercises. Just teach us what the job REALLY entails, not wasted on watching 1990's training CD-ROMs.

Managers take their status to a whole new level. They of course were in your shoes at one time, but many of them seem to forget to relate to what you're going through. Its like their egos blow up. Most of us just felt like a heard of cattle...

There are newer employer reviews for GEICO