GEICO
www.geico.com Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

Fast growing company that could benefit from its own advice.

Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway providing near complete job security. Above average benefits package for a private company. Third largest and fastest growing auto insurance company in the US (soon to overtake Allstate as #2). Good developmental opportunities for early leadership roles and to gain management experience and skills that can be translated elsewhere. Wide range of job functions available and offices all around the US.

ConsSalaries are consistently below the industry average. The company has clearly established operating principles that in theory would create a wonderful working environment for associates and support the concept of a meritocracy. These concepts unfortunately are not applied consistently by management. Producing results, supporting and promoting your associates, decision making based on quantitative information, hard work and dedication are said to be what leads to promotions. At times it is moreso who likes you and how well you can distract with vague or flowery speech. Members of management also tend to be very sensitive to direct and pointed feedback and take things personally too often. While there are multiple opportunities for advancement there are other companies out there that are better at practicing what they preach and upholding an environment of a true meritocracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold people accountable for the results they produce and don't make it so acceptable for members of management to not follow through or be unprepared on a regular basis. The company should be more introspective and self-critical. There is a lot of talk about what/who can improve, but less practical attention to what will be done about it. Lots of time and salary dollars go into the planning process and yet more than half of the action plans go unworked only to be repackaged and rephrased the next year. That doesn't support continuous improvement. True accountability wouldn't allow for core results to be poor from one month and year to the next with little to no improvement.

I would pass..

Insurance Sales (Former Employee)
Buffalo, NY

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than a year

Pros: Base Pay to start entry level, promotes from within Cons: Stressful job, hence the high turnover, hard to get promoted Advice to Senior Management: It's understandable that you need to have your agents on the phones but the tendency to get burned out is extremely high. People are not… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

autocratic management style

Dallas, TX

I have been working at GEICO as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros: financially sound company with a good credit rating Cons: regressive, outdated management style that is not sensitive to the… Advice to Senior Management: 19th century attitudes towards employees is not a successful plan… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on GEICO.

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GEICO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GEICO CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely. All reviews posted anonymously by GEICO employees.