So far, so good

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Macon, GA
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Macon, GA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training, great benefits, respectful culture. They do expect a high standard from their employees, so if you're looking to skate by with minimal effort this is not the place for you. If you have good work habits and are not afraid of having standards then you could go far here.

Cons

None so far? Most of the complaints I hear are from very immature, fresh out of college people who have their first grown-up job. They have trouble understanding they aren't the center of the universe.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Very Stressful & Way Too Demanding

Former Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Woodbury, NY
    Former Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Woodbury, NY

I worked at GEICO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When i started there i thought the job was great. It was a pretty decent starting salary for someone without a college degree and full paid training. There were also ways to get my salary higher all while in training, but i heard that they did away with most of that. All of my co-workers and everybody i met in the building were really friendly, even upper management. There were 2 months of training (paid) but it is very demanding. The first 3 weeks are a college level insurance course crammed in to 3 weeks. The trainer was unbelievably good, but there's so much material and so little time. Then you're doing specific Geico training for another 5 weeks.

Cons

The job is very very stressful. Once you get on to the sales floor you are just thrown in to the thick of it and are compared to the rest of the sales floor right away (some people have been there for over 10 years). You have to really sell well from day 1 in order to be successful there. You are just a number to them, and if you are not constantly reaching your goals and exceeding them, then you hear about it constantly. Not to mention the goals are constantly changing, and none of the supervisors are on the same page. One supervisor will tell you one thing, and then you hear something else from a different supervisor. I don't know how they manage that place, because it is constant chaos. If you are selling good, they disregard any errors that you are making, but if you are not selling well enough to their standards, you are under a constant microscope and always warned about your job being on the line. I was warned 3-4 times in my first 4 months there that my job is on the line (and i was hitting almost all of my goals and was best in my training class). The supervision and coaching is really poor. As a brand new employee, my supervisor was never there for me. Then after 3 months, they switched my group and the new sup was even worse and had it out for me from day 1 because she had the best group on the floor and i was her worst employee (numbers-wise). There was no coaching involved and no talk about improving my numbers. Then one day, they just let me go. The turn-over there is unbelievable. Whether its from management or employees leaving because of the stress.

Advice to Management

For a place that really likes to micro-manage to the extreme, you're doing a very bad job at it. Get all of your supervisors, coaches and managers on the same page. Every single sup had a different answer for almost every question, and most of the sups had no idea about some of the easiest things. Your in-house reference system (Gnie) is so confusing and there's just way too much information there for anybody to ever learn properly, not to mention some of the stuff on there is out-dated. There would be emails sent out before newer employees started, and topics that were never discussed with new employees, but then they're hit with quality errors because they didn't know the procedure. Just overall everything there is run backwards.

I.H.R. (In-House Retirement) for Accountants

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy workload. Decent salary. You get your own cubicle.

Cons

GEICO is a low-cost provider. The company treats EVERYTHING as a cost as opposed to an investment. People come to GEICO to gain starter experience, then jump ship quickly before they get into IHR mode. I'm about to do the same within the next year. The Accounting department is a place for lifers who just want to come to work, sit around, and collect an easy paycheck. There is very little incentive to work harder because promotions are often based on seniority. Once promoted, people love to sit back and coast.

Advice to Management

RETIRE. All senior management are in their late 50s and early 60s. Tony Nicely is nearing 80. Get some younger people fast-tracked to senior management roles so that they can revamp this dinosaur of a company and attract smart, young talent.