your just a number

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Woodbury, NY
Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Woodbury, NY

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

health benefits and pay only

Cons

they only care about numbers if you speak up you will never get anywhere. there is a big turnover there, they are always bribing us with money to get family and friends to apply. I don't know of any co-workers who take them up on it. Most people I run into on Long Island have either worked here or have heard bad things about working here and I can't even tell them their wrong. They will overwhelm you with work so you can never do everything right, they love to GIG you (mark you down - down code your files). A supervisor was heard telling another supervisor "this is how you get them" meaning how to down code employee files so they can make another supervisor section look bad and themselves look good. Good luck ever leaving on time. don't believe they have open door policy, it will be used against you, I witness that one.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your workers like children and nit picking everything, my co-workers and I work hard and we are nit picked to death for things that mean nothing to anyone except to some supervisor looking for a reason to get someone fired or moved because they fit into their click. We all joke it's like being in high school, and your supervisors and managers are just stepping on each other trying to look good for you or make the other look bad instead of doing whats right. I have seen thousands of dollars wasted due to lack of mgnt but we get in trouble for not putting a piece a paper that means nothing in a file a day later the what they wanted. it is seen as a critical error so they can mark you down on report card (High school). I told a supervisor about lots $$$ being wasted and tried to minimize the amount of it and I was blown off. keep wasting our time on unnecessary task, and your money then blaming us. your employees are unhappy which makes your customers unhappy, happy employees = happy customers = money saved. ask yourself why the big turn over in employees? I know of no one there who is happy or would refer anyone and I think that is sad. it's just a job so why would anyone do more then they have to.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not Satifying

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent Pay and Great Benefits.

Cons

Constant change that makes your job harder and less efficient rather than the opposite effect. Everything is based on number system, if you are willing to manipulate the system rather than do your job right you will move up quickly.

Advice to Management

Take notice of employees who actually do thier jobs not just get good numbers and promote on that quality.

I.H.R. (In-House Retirement) for Accountants

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy workload. Decent salary. You get your own cubicle.

Cons

GEICO is a low-cost provider. The company treats EVERYTHING as a cost as opposed to an investment. People come to GEICO to gain starter experience, then jump ship quickly before they get into IHR mode. I'm about to do the same within the next year.

The Accounting department is a place for lifers who just want to come to work, sit around, and collect an easy paycheck. There is very little incentive to work harder because promotions are often based on seniority. Once promoted, people love to sit back and coast.

Advice to Management

RETIRE. All senior management are in their late 50s and early 60s. Tony Nicely is nearing 80. Get some younger people fast-tracked to senior management roles so that they can revamp this dinosaur of a company and attract smart, young talent.