There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

It's a great company...I still hate my job.

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Macon, GA
Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Macon, GA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Profit Sharing Benefits 4 day work-week option

Cons

Team environment Unrealistic goals Constant Monitoring Nepotism abounds Difficulty with getting weekends off

Advice to Management

I recommend taking a call per day in any department in the call-centers. I think it would give some much needed perspective. There seems to be a disconnect between those serving customers and those dictating how the customers are served.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Stay Away From This Sweatshop (And Read My Review Before Geico HR Gets is Deleted)

Former Employee - Telephone Claims Representative I in Woodbury, NY
    Former Employee - Telephone Claims Representative I in Woodbury, NY

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They only pro I have for Geico is that some of my co-workers were awesome. In fact, without some of my co-workers there, I probably wouls not have been able to get through many of my days there. My co-workers were the only reason I kept my sanity there. Literally.

Cons

There's way too many to list, so I'll just list the most important ones so that you can really understand why I despised working for Geico so much: -Management plays favorites. No one will admit it, but they do. If your a favorite, management will turn a blind eye id you are doing unethical things to make your goals & you will get promoted quickly. (Case in point: a certain current TA1 supervisor in Woodbury was known for cheating to make his ARX goal as TCR1 examiner.) Oh, & if you're not a favorite & management takes a disliking to you (even if just because your personalities clash), watch out; your life will be made miserable so you will quit, unless they find a reason to fire you first. Which they will look for. -The pay sucks, the raises are virtually mon-existent, & Geico holds profit sharing over your head as it's actually a reasonable bonus. I get paid almost 70% more (& that's invluding my profit sharing payout) at my current job to do the same work (& there's A LOT less files you handle), plus get bonuses, reasonable raises, & a pension. -Unreasonble expectations are set & management does the bare minimum to "help" you meet them. But they will be quick to place you on a coaching or performance plan, which also has reasonable expectations laud out in it. Only this time it will be "up until & including termination" as your consequence. -"Up until & including." You will hear that phrase over @ over again during your career at Geico. That's because they like to threaten you to get you to do your job. Geico doesn't believe in positive reinforcement. Unless you count be given yet another gecko trinket as a "reward". -Even though I listed some of my co-workers as a pro, others need to be listed as a con. For numerous reasons. Some are not that bright & many are lazy. And although I do believe a lot of people need to utilize FMLA to deal with health issues, most everyone on it abuses it. And there are a lot of people that blatantly abuse it, calling out sick 1, 2, & even 3 times a week (almost every week). There are so many people thar have "anxiety" & "migraines" it's ridiculous. FMLA doesn't have the nickname "Friday Monday Leave" at Geico for no reason. -Seniority isn't respected when it should be. You can be rated a 4.4, gave a grwat Geico resume, & been in your position forever. But good luck posting for another position, because your co-worker who has only been there 6 months but is rated a 4.6 just got the job over you. -The open door policy is a fake. Management uses any complaints you make against you instead of using your constructive criticism as an opportunity to improve things. And HR will always back up management, not you. I could go on & on w/ the cons, but I think you get my point.

Advice to Management

Geico's Upper Management wouldn't listen to any advice anyways, so I won't even waste my time.

2. Low Cost Provider - Sub Standard Upper Management

Former Employee - Lead Programmer Analyst
    Former Employee - Lead Programmer Analyst

I worked at GEICO full-time

Pros

Good Benefits - Insurance, profit-sharing

Cons

inconsistency within areas of how HR policies are administered, even under the same Director.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat employees as Value Added Assets. An HR policy should be consistent regardless of Which Manager you work for under a Director or AVP