GEICO

There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

BEST Company to work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They provide fantastic benefits for employees that last the rest of your life. They set you up for an awesome career, regardless of experience. They have a great training staff who prepare you so well for your career, ensuring you have life-long stablility. There are many ways and opportunities to move around and up within the company.

Cons

It is hard work. Yes, you do take back to back calls of (mostly) the same thing, but it's so rewarding. The pros FAR outweigh the cons.

949 Other Employee Reviews for GEICO (View Most Recent)

Disorganized from the top down

Current Employee - PIP/Liability Adjuster in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - PIP/Liability Adjuster in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Since most insurance companies look for experience within the industry, GEICO is a great place to get started. There is job stability due to the high turnover. There is a very good profit sharing plan and the company makes money hand over fist.

Cons

GEICO grew too fast, and management still tries to run things like it is a mom & pop organization. There is a very high turnover due to job dissatisfaction and the fact that most other insurance companies pay more. Staffing levels are either way too low (meaning higher workload for employees) or too high (meaning they become a lot more strict on rules).

I saw the disorganization from the start, as the hiring process was chaotic. I even showed up to work for my first day upon being hired, only to be sent home because they didn't have my paperwork ready. I was called to come in the next day. That really just set the tone for the way things would go for the next few years. Training is very poor as there is no training department. They simply have supervisors of the departments teach the new classes, figuring that you will just "pick it up as you go."

GEICO is also the "low cost provider." As such, everything is cheap and most things are either leased (computers, headsets, printers, etc.) or purchased second hand (office furniture). There is little or no communication between departments, or between management and employees, and their answer to everything is to shuffle people around. In my first year, I reported to 9 different supervisors. It hasn't improved much in the past 3 years. And management prefers to tell you bad news or advise you of a pending move 15-30 minutes before the end of your shift on Friday. Sometimes you just show up to work and find out. For those who do not like change, it is not a very comfortable work environment.

Management likes to have "town hall" meetings and they tell employees how much they are valued and they ask for feedback all the time. But they never really listen to employees, offering instead numerous excuses which change to suit the circumstance.

Start actually listening to your employees, and loosen the pursestrings if it means boosting employee morale and improving turnover. Sometimes you must spend money to save or make money.

It ok

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, 401k, Tuition Reimbursement, Advancement Opportunities

Cons

A lot of work, processes

There are newer employer reviews for GEICO