There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

Great place to work, if you're a hard worker...

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Extraordinary opportunity for those that are willing to put in the effort. If you just want to collect a paycheck, then the job will be overwhelming.

Cons

No autonomy. Strict, but fair, culture.

830 Other Employee Reviews for GEICO (View Most Recent)

tcr1

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

the benefits, decent salary for the area

Cons

awful management, favoritism, management only cares about the numbers, employees are treated awful, i definitely would not recommend this place to a friend

get a clue and learn to treat your employees as well as you request we treat the customers

Insurance factory

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

GEICO pays for the licensing and does the training. Tuition reimbursement up to a certain amount every year. Profit sharing.

Cons

This company is too much into micromanaging. It seems as if they think that they have to put words into the mouths of their sales and service employees and any veering from those words is grounds for punishment in the form of non-A calls. They promise so many monitored calls a month but they never provide those many monitored calls, so if you get 2 non-A calls but only get 15 monitored calls then your dreaded stats for the month are higher than if they'd actually provided the 20 calls they promised. Next thing you know, you are in meetings with supervisors wanting to know why your stats for non-A calls are so bad.

The percentage for raises in the last 6 or 7 years has been AWFUL. I don't understand why Warren Buffet talks the big game about wanting the wealthier to be taxed more because his secretary pays a higher percentage in taxes than he does, if he actually doesn't care about GEICO employees. He doesn't care about his employees and that is shown by the lousy raises being given each year as if that's all the employees really earned. With the amount of calls per day that the employees handle, and with the numbers of customers who are retained or added to GEICO's book of business, any business man who claims to care about the working class would know that he needs to treat his employees better. If he doesn't want to give better raises, then think about getting better training for management. They have the mentality of salt mine supervisors, always warning about the stats or threatening about what is going to happen if everyone doesn't get better and better, meaning faster and more robotic--while at the same time claiming to want those of us on the phones to be friendly with the customers. And we are! But sometimes customers just aren't happy with GEICO and they let GEICO know on the surveys.

THOSE AWFUL SURVEYS!! GEICO send surveys to the email boxes of the customers after they've talked with one of us on the phone. They don't tell the customers that any negative feedback is going to hurt the one they just talked to at GEICO. So the caller was on the phone waiting for one of us to get free from a call so we can take care of him/her. They may have waited 20 minutes and on that survey that customer complains about that. Guess who gets dpunished? Yep, the employee who got that call--even though there was nothing the employee could do to lessen the wait time for the caller. HIRE more people, GEICO, or quit trying to blame the employees for something beyond their control!!!!!!! When the insurance rates go up, the customers complain on the surveys. When their teenager becomes licensed, the rates really go up and they really complain on the surveys. When some new agent gives the customer the wrong information, the next agent gets an earful and the customer fills up the survey with their dissatisfaction with having to call more than once to get a problem resolved. The pressure to sell, sell, sell, but only within a small window of time gets the customer upset because they want time to think it over and discuss it with other family members. So they only get a quote--a quick one that doesn't include all of the details about the drivers and the autos and the coverage. Then they call in to say they want the policy, but when the different agent gets all of the complete information, the quote doesn't apply any longer. Different amounts makes the customer upset. The customer takes it to the survey and next thing you know the second agent gets dinged on their stats for a bad survey. This is dishonest and unethical to blame the ones on the front lines for the problems caused by management--all the way to the top.

In my 15 years at GEICO, I've come across 2 managers/supervisors that knew how to work with people. Everyone else just DEMANDS, DEMANDS, DEMANDS, and then PUNISHES, PUNISHES, and PUNISHES when they don't get their unreasonable demands met. I've heard that this kind of management is prevalent at the corporate office so management needs to be trained at the very top so the managers below in the various offices know that a factory insurance environment is not what is going to stop the great turnover that GEICO is experiencing--even now when jobs are hard to come by.

There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!