There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

Stable company to build a career

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Fredericksburg, VA
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

culture -- friendly, supportive management and coworkers. people waive to each other in hallways and for the most part, employees seem happy at work every day. Integrity and honesty are important to the company and individuals here career growth -- you can promote yourself within a department or move to different departments and locations at GEICO (10 main offices and a few smaller offices across the country). Education -- tuition reimbursement is available and continuing education Benefits -- comprehensive benefits package and multiple options for associates Fun -- we have volunteer opportunities (like with Habitat for Humanity, Girl Scouts, and local events) and sports clubs you can join with other GEICO workers. There are celebrations in our sales, service, and claims departments regularly. You have a set schedule! It is a call center, and GEICO is 24/7, but when you work here, you're given a set schedule and in my experience, GEICO has worked around my class schedule and I've had an easy time asking off for vacation when I request it. I really do love my company and feel blessed to have the opportunity to work in 2 departments already in the mere 2 years I've been here. I've both made many lifelong friends here and referred old friends to work here.

Cons

you have to be dependable to keep your job at GEICO, not really a "con," but showing up for work and being on time are important... it is a call center, so customers are relying on you to answer their calls.

Other Employee Reviews for GEICO

It has been an unexpected wellspring of opportunity.

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst II in Washington, DC

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Life is what you make of it; so is work. I can always say that this is the best place I have ever worked. In IT the Operating Principal to "Be the low-cost provider" seems to lead to a willingness to consider creative solutions and innovations. There have been several "submit an idea" systems and competitions. I participated, and it lead to a presentation to executive management. The opportunities that arose from that are immeasurable. I've spoken with healthcare professionals and have been told that our plan is the best one offered by BCBS to private companies. Several members in mid and top management started at the most basic entry level positions. The culture is supportive of exploring other jobs within the company. There is a tuition reimbursement system, at least one scholarship program, and a full suite of training classes both online and instructor lead. It is a large, stable, and growing company that enjoys the backing of Warren Buffet. I've been fortunate enough to speak with 3 of the top executives in the past year and I can say that every indication is that they are sharp, knowledgeable, and very much engaged in the business. I am humbled by their breadth of knowledge and insights. Many employees hope that their children can work here. I even met my wife here.

Cons

The entry jobs, especially on the business side, can be tough. There's a lot of work and tightly managed schedules. Stick with it, work your way up, and you'll find it keeps getting better. This is not the place for those that don't want to work hard. If "Be the low-cost provider" is improperly administered it could become "penny wise and pound foolish".

Advice to Management

This is intended for most companies in the US. Think of employees as customers and seek to "wow" them in the same manner that we seek to "wow" the other customers. Would individualized approaches better allow changes such as embracing work-life balance? For instance, not everyone works well at home just as not everyone works well in a cube. If we can find the healthy balance for each individual relationship then everyone wins.

I have a great job with a Fortune 500 company. FML.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't do company reviews. I don't even lend credence to those that do, save a passing glance as my page is loading but luckily FIOS was running slow (which GEICO allows me to pay for, btw). I've never seen more juvenile, childish griping in my life. You want to talk pros? Start with the fact that you have a job. Not only a job, but a job in an industry that will only fail if the entire civilization in which it operates fails. Complaints about having to take meds or wear glasses? Who do you think provides the insurance benefits that would allow you to even explore these options? I pay $4 a month for Davis eye care and my entire family has health insurance for under $100/mo with a BCBS PPO; those scroundrels. While we're on the subject of health, why has no one mentioned the paid sick leave, vacation time and floating holidays we all receive? Not to mention maternity leave, emergency leave, bereavement, etc. At worst, you'll be asked to take leave without pay; you poor thing. This whole complaint board is full of people completely devoid of accountability and you should all take time out of your day to thank those around you for listening to your whining because, rest assured, no one even feels slightly sorry for you. You work for a company that pays for training, licensing, ongoing training, license renewals etc. yet you still think you deserve better? That must be why other companies are constantly banging at your door, right? I'm literally typing this post while on paid vacation. Anyone who takes time out if their day to say anything negative about their employer via Internet has effectively told you all you should no about their work ethic. Get over yourself.

Cons

The room temperature is a half degree too warm.

Advice to Management

Please excuse all the bites on your feeding hand.