There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

Stressful

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You have job security. The benefits are great, medical and dental plans, plus 401k and having a profit sharing check in February does help. My coworkers were very friendly, and helped when they could.

Cons

The job is very stressful. It is a call center so you are glued to your chair and are expected to take call after call. The way they rate your monthly performance is not great. One simple error and you could lose the whole call. I was there for five years and I fought for this job. I come in and try my best but it was not good enough. I did not have any support from my supervisor or manager Each day is different, you never know who you will speak to. You will have policyholders yelling at you, but that is part of the job.

make the job easier, to many rules to follow, missed one simple thing on a call, you miss the whole call

839 Other Employee Reviews for GEICO (View Most Recent)

Crazy work load.

Current Employee - Auto Damage Field Adjuster  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Field Adjuster in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Health insurance is the best, company car is great. Profit sharing is great. Freedom in the field.

Cons

Have to fake a lot of numbers to keep the current AD Manager off your back. MICROMANAGED daily.

Get back to the "family" atmosphere of years past. A less stressful workload would make me a GEICO lifer but I do not see that on the horizon. The company is an auto damage adjuster mill. They can run them off and replace them just as fast.

Great benefits, loved DC location

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- I didn't realize how great the benefit package was at GEICO until I left. With the recent addition of eye coverage, it was really a great offering.

- Profit sharing form of compensation adds much more to 401K savings plan than regular matching plan with an employer would.

- Vacation time can be flexibly used after your first six months, and the structure of gaining more vacation is strong

- I felt well rewarded and recognized for my hard work and was routinely promoted when I expected it, or when I pushed for recognition. You do have to ask for what you want sometimes, but I think that is true for any company

- The DC location is a great place to work, with lots of options for a lunch break, or a quick walk outside to clear your head... and for holiday shopping in the winter!

-I highly respected the EVP of my division and thought that he was a smart and considerate manager. He was always open to explaining a concept or opinion, and while he was somewhat 'old school' in certain ways he was also open to new technology. I think it's important to work for someone that you respect and admire. I can't say the same for the rest of the lower management staff though.. it was a 50/50 mix.

- Management does keep an 'open door' policy and meant it. They were also VERY respectful of my personal time and family life, and did not bother me on vacation or any time off unless it was a major emergency. I did not have children but I found management to be sympathetic to people with children who were sick or had various issues, and tried to be flexible in working with them.

Cons

- The DC headquarter building is old and disgusting. We constantly had problems with mice, falling ceiling tiles, awful bathrooms. It was an embarrassment to bring vendors in.

- Office supplies were abundant and easy to request, but little things that other companies supply were not available... for example GEICO does not provide water coolers, coffee, tissues, or plastic cutlery for associates. You have to buy something from the cafeteria downstairs to get them or bring in your own.

- The "Emerging Leader Program' is a joke and a slap in the face to most associates who are forced to deal with the arrogant new-hires who are treated like royalty and paid an average of $15,000 more than other new-hires. (When they had the same GPA and education levels)

- GEICO is great about promoting those who are smart and passionate, but also has a LARGE amount of people who are too lazy to leave, but too lazy/dumb to also do their jobs. They continue to be paid, and somehow promoted to management level, with their incompetence never being addressed. It causes a lack of respect among others when you see this happen, but it promotes mediocrity.

-The parking attendants are rude human beings who park behind or around your car and then refuse to move even though you are almost hitting another car trying to get around them. Sorry to disturb their 'nap..' If you you drive a different car into the office instead of your own they are almost furious to have to give you a temporary parking pass... which means doing their job. Yet they don't mind driving their 'friends' down to the metro so they don't have to walk half a mile around the block.

Just with any large company, there's a lot of great stuff and a lot of bad stuff with GEICO. If you could weed out some of that 'dead weight' in the staff, it would make a more productive and respectful atmosphere. And then, maybe you could afford to provide employees with water and tissues. The little things really do matter.

There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!