There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

Stressful

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You have job security. The benefits are great, medical and dental plans, plus 401k and having a profit sharing check in February does help. My coworkers were very friendly, and helped when they could.

Cons

The job is very stressful. It is a call center so you are glued to your chair and are expected to take call after call. The way they rate your monthly performance is not great. One simple error and you could lose the whole call. I was there for five years and I fought for this job. I come in and try my best but it was not good enough. I did not have any support from my supervisor or manager Each day is different, you never know who you will speak to. You will have policyholders yelling at you, but that is part of the job.

make the job easier, to many rules to follow, missed one simple thing on a call, you miss the whole call

828 Other Employee Reviews for GEICO (View Most Recent)

Could be better, Could be worse

Current Employee - Claims Examiner
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner

I have been working at GEICO full-time

Pros

Decent pay
    Decent benefits
    Excellent opportunity for advancement, especially if mobile
    Decent training program
    Incentives for continuing education (SCLA, CPCU, etc.)

Cons

Good supervisors are hit or miss. This can weigh tremendously on performance as the workload could be considered to be high at times, but a good supervisor could make all the difference in a difficult work environment.
    The pay is a bit below average from what I have seen, but the opportunity to advance seems to be higher so it appears that its a trade-off.
    Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider"

I see a lot of complaints about the workload, which could be argued to be high, but the industry is all about priority and organization and I would have to say that the complaints may stem from a lack of efficiency. It is a sink or swim organization, but I do not feel that GEICO is to blame for that entirely, it is the nature of the industry.

Look a bit more closely at supervision as some offices promoted quickly due to demand, but have supervisors sitting in their position running out their careers and making life very difficult for associates looking to advance

Test Automation Wizard

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst II  in  Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst II in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stability
    Profit Sharing Bonus
    Responsive HR
    Friendly Co Workers

Cons

Dirty and Disgusting HQ
    Poor management of IT
    Old School Philosophy of Management

Instead of moving around leads and managers who are underperforming just demote them.

There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!