There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

Young person @ old school company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Chevy Chase, MD
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

- Profit Sharing (Each year...we calculate rate of growth and its distributed as an annual bonus to your 401K as well as a cash payout. The average is around 20%. Take your salary...take 20% or whatever the magic number is...and thats the bonus. The first 10% goes into your 401K...the rest comes to you (after Uncle Sam) in a check)
- Job Stability...people will always need insurance. GEICO never lays people off...you may get fired though :-).

Cons

- Old fashioned (We're one of those companies that doesn't change things since this is the way things have always been done)
- Aesthetically challenged (We have had issues with rodents due to construction taking place nearby)

- Allow telecommuting
- Allow Alternative Work Schedule

With high gas prices...it's either raise salaries or allow alternative methods to work (for people whose jobs can be flexible/performed from home).

828 Other Employee Reviews for GEICO (View Most Recent)

I like the company, but not happy with the inflexibility.

Current Employee - TCR2  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - TCR2 in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

Job Security and interesting job. If you work very hard, generally you will advance. There are opportunities for someone who fits the job very well. Profit sharing and benefits are dood.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid... Not enough vacation time. Not enough flexibility. Five years is what it takes to get 3 weeks of vacation and then when you do take a vacation it takes you twice as long to recover from the vacation. A huge reward of working at GEICO is profit sharing but on the downside of that, they are not adjusting it to the industry even though we are profitable as a company, if the system isn't fixed, we may not see the cash reward which is the only part that makes our salary bearable. No vision plan.

More flexible work options, telecommute, job sharing, part time, etc...

A great "starter" company for people graduating from college, but don't plan on staying for more than 2 years.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

Job security and a company backed by Berkshire Hathaway

Cons

Promotions almost completely based on tenure.
    Every decision literally goes through 12 layers of management, so don't expect to feel like you contribute.
    Culture promotes more of the same.
    Don't expect to get paid what you are worth.
    There is a lot of employee turnover.

A high-level person with a new perspective might be incredibly beneficial (external perspective).

There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!