GLOBALFOUNDRIES

www.globalfoundries.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for GLOBALFOUNDRIES

I have never refrained from doing what I thought was right until now.

Current Employee - Smts in Milpitas, CA
Current Employee - Smts in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with some of my co-workers who are very good. There are pockets of excellence throughout the company.
Some of the technologists are very good technologists.

Cons

Senior management doesn't seem to understand the foundry business.
Senior management is too "dynamic" with frequent changes in staff and direction.
Every idea is a "strategy" regardless of its merit.
Every group and many individuals are focused on avoiding blame rather than customer success and success of the whole company. There is a strong culture of denial.
The most successful people are those who bully others regardless of the merit of their position.
There are too many processes and too many wild ideas and not enough execution and success.
The "GLOBAL" part of the name means you have to be up at all hours communicating with other parts of the company. Senior management seems to think this is a badge of honor. Perhaps it would be different if everyone had a huge up side, but without this hope it is just demoralizing.

Senior management sure make sure their resumes are current.
Focus on a small number of efforts and achieve mastery before branching out to related endeavors.
Learn to properly evaluate strategic options, make reasonable decisions, and then execute them to conclusion. Tactics are in support of a strategy, not replacements for it. Strategies that change frequently aren't really strategies but responses to tactical situations.
Learn to communicate. Messages from "the leadership team" to the company (the "follower team"?) never ring true.
Process technology and manufacturing excellence are the cornerstones of the foundry business. Focus here.

459 Other Employee Reviews for GLOBALFOUNDRIES (View Most Recent)

Chaotic, unfair, low pay and compensation, high stress ...”

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

State of art tools.
    Pay the bill!

Cons

* Chaotic, There is no planning across business units. Wait for the last minute to execute. Create a lot of unneccessary stress to finish the job.
    * Long hours: Many are working long hours but don't expect any compensation or even compliement!
    * Low compensation: Working very hard. However most will get below inflation raise or no raise even you get excellent review!!!. The salary is well below industrial standard especially in such high cost of living at Malta.
    * Favoritism: Some engineers at MTS level has no experience but the no experience compensation could be higher than 15 year experience!
    * Change direction all the time: Constantly change direction. Management constantly gives rosy pictures but it never executes.
    * Red year after year: No single plan was executed well and red year after year. Your job is on the line, even you keep your job, you are under huge amount of pressure and low compensation.
    * Most managers even CEO are from failure memory companies. Their track record is to run the company to fail. They may have golden parachute but you don't!
    * Very high attrition rate: Most good engineers(even high level managers) leave after 2 year relocation contract so they don't have to pay back relocation. In my group, there are 6 engineers left in 2 years. I know other in different group left within 1 year!
    * Very low moral: Nobody likes this place except new college graduates who never work in the industrial!!!
    * Very high cost of living: Malta is in the middle of nowhere but the living cost is very high. It is like living in San Jose, CA but having bad weather.
    * The cafeteria is very expensive: A simple breakfast, small sandwich, soft drink and chip will cost over $10!!! The quality is not even good!
    * Nobody would like to take responsibility: Most expect others to do all the work for them. When you ask them, they either don't know or have no idea what they want. They can't even give you document but they expect you to figure it out everything by yourself (Remember we are foundries!)
    * Back stabbing: Some are just back stabbing you to get ahead. For such lousy job/company, I don't understand why they are so low to do such things. Obviously, these people have no option, they have to stay .....

The company will survive but I am very doubt they will be successfully no matter what the management says. If you don't have other option but take the offer. Good luck, it is better for you to prepare for the exit as quick as possible!

No doubt it is the worst company I have worked. I have worked for many companies.

I wish their employees were really their best assets as they claim to be.

Former Employee - Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exposure to state of the art fab/equipment, decent access to trainings, reasonable benefits package, and good short term learning opportunities.

Cons

By combining the content of the vast majority of previous reviews, you will have a very good idea of what's like to work for GF: Poor work life balance, inefficient management practices such as too many meetings and little action, poor guidance from team leaders due to either lack of experience or their inappropriate background, constant change of plans/priorities, overall chaotic environment, and very limited/unlikely channels for career growth to name a few. It's hard to understand how such a business strategy can be in place with the expectation of any kind of success. Employee morale, which should be the driving force of a successful company, is going downhill across the entire organization. If you plan an enjoyable career in the semiconductor industry, GF does not seem the right place to be.

Too many of them would not listen to advice, since they spend most of their time trying to make things look better than they really are so they can deliver their vague weekly reports. However, a good starting point would be to read at least some of these reviews and take proactive actions about it.

There are newer employer reviews for GLOBALFOUNDRIES