GNC

www.gnc.com
  www.gnc.com
There are newer employer reviews for GNC

Growing Company with estreme pressure to exceed goals.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Phoenix, SC
Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Phoenix, SC

I worked at GNC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company with opportunity to advance

Cons

Your job depends on meeting and exceeding goals in many categories and contests. Whenever you reach the goal it is raised so then you are not meeting expectations and your job is now on the line.
Every associate must attack each customer to buy the latest contests, and every category being judged. Even if you make all but one goal you still fail, and you will be replaced.

The company is doing great versus last year and everyone should be Happy with this performance. Because of the competitive nature from top down unrealistic goals are demanded. Example if the company has a 16% vitamin goal, then the DVP will set 18% vitamin then the DSD will set 20% Vitamin and then the RSD will set 22$ vitamin. The store will only hear 22% and their jobs will be on the line if they don't achieve the numbers. RSD's set these unrealistic expectations because if they don't finish in the top ten, now their jobs are on the line. Upper management should look into the RSD turnover, and the turnover as a whole to see the issues.

550 Other Employee Reviews for GNC (View Most Recent)

dont waste your time

Former Employee - Store Manager in Destin, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Destin, FL

I worked at GNC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

commission is the only pro in this company.

Cons

you have 10 goals all which have to be met which in turn reduces the only pro of commission. you are told to talk people into select gnc products to met these goals. which gives a bias opinion of what you tell the customer. this company will take a major hit in overall sales if customer finds out you have that many sells goals. you are also told if you dont hit all those goals you will be fired. this is a min. pay job and you wont make any commission if you were to met these goals. this company cares nothing about their employees only about itself. most of the management i dealt with ssm,rsd,dsd were are very rude and talked down to you like you were an idiot for not being able to make all 10 goals.

pay the employees more money for the work you tell them to do. drop some of the goals or only carry the products you really want to sell.

Very flexible not a good career choice

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder ( Franchise Location) in Chester, VA

I worked at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Unsupervised
    Ability to create "tab' and pay later (Franchise store)
    Quiet because no customers come in

Cons

Pay is base line middle wage with NO raise!!
    They push you to sell sports nutrition, NDS, and vitamins
    Overpriced
    Commission during training is given to manager
    Unprofessional record keeping and stat tracking

I applied here to have a 2nd job for my spare time. I did not expect to be paid a lot but for ppl who may have no choice this would leave you disappointed. During training the manager informed me that all commission would be awarded to him until I complete training. i just did not sell anything while in training to avoid giving him money for my work. While working there the manager tracks sales frequently. He was only concerned with sport nutrition, NDS, and vitamins as told by the owner or DFO. Checking expiration dates would suck because everything else would be on the verge of expiring. I saw the manager also take samples that vendors would give away and put them on the shelves for sale. When tracking your sales I would suggest that you have a copy of your sales as well to be sure that they are not cheating you. I say this because in the store i worked in we tracked our commission on a paper with a pencil, and when a customer made a return you would have to deduct to amount from the person sheet. Sales were not that hard for me since I knew the items very well from previous experience. But when a customer would come in and see the price and ask why the price is higher, when Wal Mart is 10 steps away or Vitamin shoppe is on their way home. you will look dumb in the face.
    I would not recommend this company if you are looking for a rewarding career.

Make prices compelling, huge turnover when you have a lot of competition around with lower prices.
    Focus on employee and customer satisfaction, the reward would be great.

There are newer employer reviews for GNC