GNC

www.gnc.com
  www.gnc.com
There are newer employer reviews for GNC

Out of touch with reality

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount on supplements - even though ordering online is still cheaper.
Commision helps counter poor pay

Cons

The weekly goals are ridiculous. GNC wants you to sell store brand products known as P3s (premium product program, supposedly the 'best' products in each category), to the tune of 45-50% (figured as # of P3 units/Total # of transactions). They also expect a $50 average transaction, and 20% multivitamin sales (figured by $ of multivitamins sold/$ total sales). There is also an 'OMS' (One More Sale) goal, 5% - OMS is chewable products offered to every customer at the register. Your jobis on the line if you do not meet these. There are a few others but these are the main ones that should be changed.

First off, GNC tells us not to sway people away from the products they come in looking for, but expect us to sell 4-5 P3 items for every 10 transactions. So we all end up pushing people to P3 products when it is not what they want and sometimes not the best choice for that individual, causing a strained relationship with the customer. I get tired of lying to customers over and over for the sake of making my goals. That's what this job comes down to, it's not about helping customers, it's about lying and pushing customers to buy products they didn't come in for, and most of the time do not need. Generally, none of the P3 items have a commission on them, so you have to choose between making yourself money or making your goals to keep employment.

I understand why the company wants a high average sale. However in the long run it hurts more than it helps. I see associates send customers looking for a single, low-dollar item to competitors, or tell them we do not carry it, in order to save their average sale. I do it myself. GNC should adopt the attitude that every dollar helps. On average $20-40 a day walks out the store straight to competitors, all in order for employees to keep thier average sale high, because they will get fired if they do not make goals.

As an experienced athlete, I can not dismiss the importance of taking a quality multivitamin. However, it is a product with a high profit-margin so we are forced to shove multivitamins down every customers throat. Not all the multivitamins we carry count towards the multivitamin goals either. We are required to ask every customer that comes in 'what multivitamin do you take?' or face disciplinary action - and back to not swaying customers from products they want, we have to sway customers from products they want to products that benefit us (GNC, not associates).

As far as OMS - they are just awful products in general, and a waste of time. I refuse to attempt to sell them, Managers expect employees to purchase OMS products at the end of the week to make store goals.

In the end, it is a company devoted to helping itself masquerading as a company who cares about the needs of it's customers. Now there is nothing wrong with profiting and being a succesful company, but it shouldn't come at the cost of selling customers products they don't need and swaying them from what they want. That is not good business practice.They also seem to care very litle about employees. Training is minimal, expectations are high and never once was i congratulated for making goals.

Don't concern yourself as much with goals, they are important to have, but need to be completely revised. Look at profitability over P3, average sale and multivitamin percentages. Encourage and help employees instead of belittling and demeaning them. Pay managers more and hire knowledgable RSD's and DSD's - my RSD is horrible, and completely out of touch with reality. She could never reach the goals she sets for our stores.

549 Other Employee Reviews for GNC (View Most Recent)

Great Customers, Awful Company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to meet great people and assist them with their problems. You learn a lot of valuable information too if you put the work in it. I absolutely loved my coworkers and my manager.

Cons

The company is awful. They care more about indicators and the never-ending goals you have to meet than customer service and honest employees.

Take the time to appreciate your employees. We work hard for the company and are greatly under appreciated.

Great company, boring job

Current Employee - Lease Administration in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Lease Administration in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

GNC has a phenomenal benefits plan as well as an on site gym and employee discounts. They match a great portion of your 401k and if GNC has a good year they will double their contribution for the calender year.

Cons

The company is very unstructured and doesn't do a great job of training their employees before throwing them into the fire.

Implement better training programs as well as helping employees keep up with the newest software (i.e. Microsoft suite of products)

There are newer employer reviews for GNC