There are newer employer reviews for GNC

A good overall retail workplace environment

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Ferndale, MI
Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Ferndale, MI

I have been working at GNC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a health and fitness nut, then it's an excellent place to work

Cons

It can get boring working by yourself some days

Advice to Management

I think the prices could be more competitive. I think we lose a lot of business because other stores sell the same stuff cheaper

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

too much expectations, low pay

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at GNC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get to work without a manager most of the time

Cons

ridiculous sales goals, regional sales directors are always on your case about numbers, constantly getting threatened to be written up my managers, boring and slow (sometimes the store is empty for hours), pay is really low and in my opinion a 25cent yearly raise is just insulting, commission is almost non existant considering you have to constantly worry about making numbers before selling commision items and nobody knows anything about nutrition. if you want to apply here because you are passionate about health and fitness- forget it. there is absolutely no way you can sell products that customers actually need or provide good customer service because you are constantly pressured to make sales goals. i have seen associates blatantly lie to customers to get them to buy stuff.

Advice to Management

show your employees some appreciation, chill out on the numbers, focus on actually helping customers out, lower the prices on your supplements- nobody wants to pay $90 for a little tub of protein powder.

I'm sorry sir/ma'am, You can't leave the store until you buy what I tell you to.

I worked at GNC part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-the whole day at work may be "your lunch break".

Cons

-Toxic work environment that clearly starts from the top-down (probably induced by the high quotas) -Absurd quota metrics. (spare me the "its a sales job, what did you expect?" jargon) - GNC house brand Sport products lack innovation (mostly hideous complex proprietary blends, yuck!) - Overall the company lacks a sustainable competitive advantage.

Advice to Management

Needs a stronger focus on internal research and development. The company seems to allocate most of its expenses towards marketing. If the products truly were great, I would have no issue with the high goals, for they would simply sell themselves. Right now they clearly do not sell themselves and the company relies on the employee's strong-arm tactics (and not product efficacy) to push as much product out the door as possible; clearly unsustainable. It simply cannot compete with the pricing difference as well as the 'no strings attached' policies of E-retailers. GNC can turn it around by having an overhaul on their in-house products and promoting internally instead of this hyper-fixation on volume of sales and other metrics that attempts to temporarily please the shareholders