There are newer employer reviews for GNC

A good place to work and learn

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A good place to work and learn

Cons

I cant thing of any right now

na

503 Other Employee Reviews for GNC (View Most Recent)

Don't waste your time.....

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Manager is accommodating, great co workers

Cons

Asked to do way to much for $7.25 an hr. Too many unrealistic goals, and ridiculous contests.

Here is the best part though. They justify paying you minimum wage by saying, "You can make up for it with PM" when you make PM they say "You need to remember PM is a privilege not a right, you need to sell what we want you to sell."

My title is "Sales Associate", my job description is to help the customers get what they are looking for.
    Last time I checked that doesn't include: Electrician, Garbage Man, Tour Guide, Janitor, Window Washer, Accountant, Secretary, Errand Boy, and Banker.

We are told not to convert customers, so if a customer comes in looking for Fish Oil and wants Nordic Natural and buys the Nordic Natural; we get in trouble because its not a P3. (GNC FishOil is)

It gets to the point (and I do this myself) of being nasty and rude to customers because they want to buy a protein bar. Which again.....we get in trouble for because they didn't buy a P3, MULTI, or OMS.

It's not the customers fault, they think we get PM on everything; as is the general misconception. They think they are doing us a favor buy not buying their bars and drinks at a Vitamin Shoppe.
    They aren't, sales associates would actually prefer if they did.

RSD, SSM and all the pencil pushers do not care about the little guy who makes this business run.They obviously only care for money, and how much they can make.

Granted money can be great if you're in a busy store like Times Square, but if you're in a slower store; your salary is below poverty levels. I am not exaggerating either.

Its ridiculous how people who literally do the same job as you get 3-5x the amount of money you do simply because they get all the tourists who will buy anything they suggest in mass quantities.

This is where the frustration sets in, the RSD and SSM shouldn't expect smaller/slower stores to come anywhere near the goals because the sales associates there are trying to make PM and somewhat survive.
    The slower stores should be for new hires so they can learn, and then you work up from that. Its pathetic how someone who just gets hired gets thrown into the belly of the beast, not have any idea what they're doing and make 3-5x more money that I do.

In order to counter balance the difference and have all stores preform alot better, raise the hourly salary of those in slower stores. Then they would sell what you want them to sell, because they don't have to worry about a paycheck that fluctuates week to week.

The manager always expects you to do his job for him, whether its planograms, paper work, shipment. They think they are slick also, they get PM on just about EVERYTHING. When you help a customer and they happen to want a vitapack or wheybolic (which is good for numbers and overpriced) the manager will wait by the register and try to ring the customer up, you actually have to say "Hey, I got this." then they will back off. Obviously doing it for the big PM, but if you do let them ring it up for some reason; they're quick to say "You don't sell P3 or Multi's I'm going to write you up next time." It all comes down to the paperwork, you know you let them ring it up because it really doesn't affect you; but if its not on paper......

Manager will have you do tedious tasks, which are his job; as fate would have it customers that want PM items obviously walk in. This happens way too often.

That being said, my manager is very accommodating when you need a day off.

GNC has a policy where all sales associates have to complete the GNC University training module. Which IMO is a waste of time, other companies actually give you a raise when you complete these. GNC obviously doesn't because you can make up for it with PM remember?

If you have to close the store, GNC lets you clock out up to a half an hr after you leave. Here is the catch, they take that 30 mins out because of the "mandatory break" you are supposed to have. Needless to say, there are no breaks and you are essentially working for free after the store closes. It can be time consuming as well.

Well this is the end of my review of GNC hope it woke some people up. Never apply here, your dignity, self worth and free time are more valuable than the false and empty promises GNC Delivers. (LOL, Get it?)

Pay everyone a flat salary, that is not that of some one who is stricken with poverty. Production is GUARANTEED to go up. Stop being so greedy, GNC will make even more money if they shell out more for the "Sales Associates" that are so horribly taken advantage of.

Sales Associate

I have been working at GNC part-time

Pros

Only thing good about this place is the possible commission you can make. But they will yank commission off a product without informing you.

Cons

Low pay for what GNC expects from you. If you meet their goals they will then in return increase their new goals astronomically. When you win a sales competition their is nothing in it for you, only manager or RSD. TERRIBLE place to work.

Value your employees