There are newer employer reviews for GNC

Good place to work, at least in my branch

I have been working at GNC

Pros

relaxed working environment, commission on third-party products, learned lots of health related knowledge and goods

Cons

the long hours standing, legs hurt

Advice to Management

push to sell

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at GNC part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great industry to work in, employee product discount, down time for studying or reading.

Cons

Can be boring when you have extended periods of inactivity. Numerous inventory shifts per year can be cumbersome.

Advice to Management

None

Terrible upper management

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at GNC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping and teaching people about our products and how to use them is very fun.

Cons

Key point indicators: GNC places stress on selling specific items to increase their profit margin, this also means they won't have to pay you as much because a majority of these items have no commission attached to them- but if you do not meet these goals, you could loose your job- encouraged to sell products that weren't right for the customer just to win a contest or goal (ps the only incentive in actually meeting your goal is that you'll be giving your RSD a bonus check for all your hard work) since when did customer service include lying to customers? I actually watched an SSM sell a product to a lady (who told him she had high blood pressure) knowing that it would raise her blood pressure because he "needed to make a contest goal" unethical on so many levels: that could have effected her health!!! Some GNC associates are actually decent honest people like myself, if you go into a store and they associate shows you options and you notice that they are not all GNC brand, and they are not all items from a specific third party brand, chances are they are they are telling the truth and trying their best to help you not take advantage of you to make a buck.

With a previous RSD- (who is now over a different region) he preached respect and customer service but respect was never given to his employees or his customers- he was ugly with myself and my associates because we didn't stop to 'block and face the store' when we have over 15 customers and only one register. He didn't say a word to try to help the customers who were waiting- since when is cleaning more important than taking care of a customer when it will slow down in a bit and we can pretty it up in a bit? Also observed him on another day tell a customer who didn't have allot of money to come back another day when he had more money, he didn't have 'time for that' seriously? There are plenty of other. Products that could have been sold to help the kid instead of blow him off.... A dollar is a dollar- who gives a &#*^ if its not something from the KPI!!

Lastly- saw an SSM tell a customer who came in daily for a bottle of water that "you know, you really mess up my numbers every time you do this, when you could just get your water from the food court"

Since when was a report more important than a customer. And since when should employees be punished for coming close to a KPI but missing it barely when they have the highest BLY? (Total sales $) this the most backwards unethical company I have ever had the experience working for

Advice to Management

Take care of your customer no matter what the brand and no matter what it will do to your KPI- would you want to go to the hospital over something that a sales associate sold you just to make a goal or a buck? If you ever did, I'm pretty sure you never went back and I'm sure you told everyone you possibly could not to shop there....just like me!!!