Bad place to work

I have been working at GNC

Pros

Cons

None Just do not work here they will fire you if you become too expensive and they have huge turnover. You are very undervalued

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Worst job I have ever had.

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee discount. Nothing else to say nice about the job.I can't come up with the 20 words needed to fill in the pro column.

Cons

Woman are treated differently than men and paid less to do the same job. Usually about 20% less. Most people that move up in the company are men...woman are overlooked. Even when the woman do a better job. Lots of favoritism and sexual harassment from upper management. Goals are unrealistic and increase constantly. Many RSD's are overworked and can't do the job they are supposed to. You never get a weekend off and if you have an appointment or plans on your day off and someone calls in sick, you are expected to cancel your plans and cover for them. Small staff, poor pay. You are expected to do EVERYTHING including stripping and waxing the floors, washing windows and cleaning bathrooms. If air conditioning or furnace do not work or water is leaking into the store, it can be months and in some cases years before the company will spend the money to make repairs. No lunch breaks or breaks of any kind. If you have to go to the bathroom you must hold it or try to go as fast as you can between customers. No individuality allowed. Like robots, all customers must be given the same speech...on the phone or in person. Holidays paid for full time employees if you can get anyone else to work. After you have worked for the company for any length of time it is hard to be taken seriously by other companies when looking for a new job. Very little training. Written warnings and the threat of being fired are used as training tools.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. If employees were treated well you wouldn't have so much theft and turnover.

I gained a lot of knowledge about supplements, but I did not enjoy the pressure placed on me

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at GNC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good money (on average), ability to gain a lot of knowledge. I had many regular customers who would come in specifically I was working just so I could help them, I really enjoyed the connection I had with people.

Cons

There is just way too much pressure to meet certain quotas on products, I felt that I could not be 100% honest with the customers in order to meet the quotas or not come off as being a pushy salesmen.

You can either meet the quotas, making management happy and keeping them 'off your back' or you can be honest and unbiased, resulting in much happier customers but you will get 'in trouble'.

In my location, there is only one person at a time working with very little overlap, since I always worked the Sunday shift, I would have a lot of paper work to get setup for the week, then shipment would arrive shortly after which consisted of 35ish to 80+ boxes that I had to put up by myself (granted I wasn't punished if I didn't finish, but I was questioned every time that I didn't get as many done as they thought I should have).

We open the store at 11, shipment arrives and then you have a conference call at 11:30, by this time at our location I would have several people in the store, making it very easy to miss a conference call, and they take roll call to see if all the stores are on.

I worked for GNC for a little over a year, I left on good terms. I feel GNC will continue to grow but I think the growth will peak and then begin to drop off as customers become tired of the pushy sales environment and turnover to an online supplement company.

Advice to Management

Stop putting so much pressure on sales associates to meet quotas, these quotas are making the sales associates come off as too pushy, resulting in a bad image of GNC.

If you would like to test this, go to a fitness forum such as bodybuilding.com's forums. Either start a post containing something about GNC or search for GNC.

You will be surprised the number of people who have either had a bad experience (from pushy associates) or even will not shop there just because they do not want to be pressured.