GNC

www.gnc.com

Decent pay if you work at a high volume store, otherwise it's an unrewarding job.

Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) East Hanover, NJ

ProsGreat opportunity to interact with customers and get to know them on a personal level. You get to learn a lot about health and fitness. When company reps come in and give out free samples, that's pretty cool too.

ConsLow volume store = lots of down time. And the Lying. A majority of what you do at this job is lie. "You need this vitapak" or "You should be taking (insert GNC brand product) along with what you're buying today". When you first start working there, you're eager to meet your goals and feel great when you up sell a customer on a product. Talking a customer into buying a second vitapak or fish oil with their purchase makes you feel like you've made a great sale, albeit at the expense of their wallet. After time, you get tired of hearing yourself give the same sales pitch that is a load of crap which most customers can see through, and also coercing people into spending money on a product they can buy for a lot cheaper online. Most of the time the item you recommend to the customer is only suggested because it either offers commission (which is where you truly make your money at GNC) or it meets a sales criteria you have to meet by week's end or else you run the risk of being spoken to by either the store manager or regional sales director and getting written up.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop forcing sales associates to peddle your GNC brand products that are often VERY over priced (wheybolic/wheybolic extreme/wheybolic power etc) or inferior to other 3rd party items. If people don't want to fork out $60+ for GNC protein after listening to the company sales pitch, and would instead rather pay half that amount for a similar product, then do not fault the sales associate. By all means upper management, if it's that important to you then take the money out of your wallet and place it in the register. I challenge upper management to spend a week in a store and try all those sales pitches and see just how many people come back to return stuff they realize they never actually needed. I've seen it happen more times than I can count.

Numbers above all else

Store Manager (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

I worked at GNC full-time

Pros: There is a likelihood of making a decent overall hourly rate with commissions plus hourly rate. If you are interested in… Cons: Micromanaged to end by those positions from the senior sales manager and up. 15+ % based indicators that need to be tracked on a daily basis… Advice to Senior Management: Pull your kpis and focus on the customer and not… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at GNC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Good Medical plan, quick advancement from part time to full time/management, free supplements, commission as… Cons: Management compensation is poor at best and HIGHLY commission based, no bonus structure for managers at the store level, too many performance indicators, goals… Advice to Senior Management: Manager need to be salary plus bonus if you want to see the stores excel. Give the managers a reason to push their team and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on GNC.

Worked for GNC? Contribute to the Community!