Great job for part-time

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at GNC

Pros

They work around your school hours, pay is not bad considering the chances for promotional money, plenty of stores so you can work near your home.

Cons

Not enough product knowledge, old technology that at least some stores are still using. Sometimes the managers are way under-qualified.

Don't hire managers who are too young and not educated enough to handle the responsibility.

Other Reviews for GNC

GNC, a company where the numbers always come first and nothing else matters

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Abingdon, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Abingdon, VA

I worked at GNC

Pros

Employee Discount, opportunity to talk to health conscious customers, keeping up with new innovations in the industry, the pluses are few.

Cons

The numbers are the only thing that corporate cares about, it isn't always what the customer needs but what GNC need them to buy. They encourage the wrong things to customers, oh don't worry about your cholesterol levels, take a fish oil and multi-vitamin, dont worry about your weight take the same thing we told the guy with high cholesterol to take, and buy a bag of this protein we need to sell to to help with your weight loss. Often you would never hear an employee encourage a better diet and they only talk about working out if the customer brings it up. They are a prime example of what wrong with the supplement industry, its turning into what all other industry is, greedy. A health supplement company should encourage better things and make their supplements with more natural ingredients, not lake red #40 and sucralose. It's about price efficiency, not the customers health. What I enjoyed most was helping customers with herbal alternatives for their ailments, but even that is a shrinking part of GNC's inventory.

The management thinks about the employees the same as the customers, expendable. I put in my two week notice to begin working at a local gym and pursuit a personal training certification. on day 4 after I turn it in my manager informs me they found another employee and GNC wont pay for both of us to work at the same time, so i am "excused" from the duration of my last weeks. There was no warning, they jsut let me come in thinking I am working that day and then I get to hand my key in and not work for the money I had planned I would have. GNC is pretty much the worst company in the healthfood supplement industry and if you want to shop for supplements, order them online or go to a locally owned supplement store. Working for them for a year didn't buy me any worth with the company regarding my two weeks, its just as if i decided to come in and say i quit without notice. They are unprofessional and they underpay their entire base of support, their store workers and managers.

Take a pay hit and pay your employees more than minimum wage and maybe they will value their job more and try for your silly sales goals that can be completely unrealistic, 32% P3s? Yeah, that's really realistic. Communicate with your store employees and treat them with more respect, you have to give to get. You wonder why you have such bad instances of internal theft? Wake up and realize how you treat the people who make you all that money.

The truth about working for GNC (corporate)

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at GNC

Pros

-Supplement discounts at stores
    -Learn alot about nutrition and getting in shape
    -Meet people (employees or customers) with like minded goals

Cons

The hourly wage is horrible at corporate stores and the only way you really can make money at that company is if you work at a store that has high sales volumes, foot traffic, and high net worth clients. The commissions is what will help you get anywhere from $10-$12 hourly. If you are looking for learning about nutrition its a good job, besides that it's horrible pay and management.

Pay your employees properly, give them a raise if they are performing better then other districts, and invest money in your stores. Quite being so stingy on your POS systems and safety equipment (cameras and security alarms) .

There are newer employer reviews for GNC.

Worked for GNC? Contribute to the Community!