There are newer employer reviews for GQR Global Markets

Decent place to work

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are driven individuals at GQR

Cons

GQR really has high expectations of its employees.

Treat your employees better

14 Other Employee Reviews for GQR Global Markets (View Most Recent)

Be aware – works for some, but not many

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a genuine opportunity to earn the type of money that you are promised (£100k+) in this company as they have a commission structure that very few companies can compete with. However this also comes at a price and there are very few people in the organisation earning that type of money. During my time there I think it was circa 5-6 billers and as you would expect it didn’t happen for them overnight and took them up to 2-3 years to get to that level.

Cons

It seems that they have no company structure or plan except to grow the organisation as quickly as possible. The company is the most KPI driven company that I have ever worked within and once a month you are verbally “beaten up” by your boss regarding your KPI stats regardless of the amount of money you have billed (above or below target).

One of the most frustrating things that I encountered during my time was that both Hugo and Steve thought that there was a one size fits all approach to recruitment. Without doubt Hugo’s approach works within the core market they recruited for during their time as hands on recruiters, however that is not always transferable to other markets.

During the interview process I was promised alot and told they worked with lots of top tier banks etc but upon joining them I found out that not only did they not work with these companies they were also black listed from working with them. This is as a result of the standard working practices that GQR employ which is generally about high volume, (just getting CVs out the door) less relationship based recruitment and seeing what “bites” they get from managers they spam.

I joined the company as an experienced hire but was shocked at their grad recruitment process at the time. I do want to add that this may not be the case anymore but as they are a relatively young company their candidate database is still in its infancy. In a attempt to increase the database size they would hire grads and offer them a 1 month unpaid trial at the company where if they managed to headhunt, and get in 200 new CVs to the database in that time they would be offered a full time role and be back paid for the previous months work. Needless to say that I would say approx 1-2 people made it through this process to be fully employed out of approx 15-20 people who joined in this capacity.

Obviously working in recruitment you can expect to work long hours, but when working in other companies the same is expected of management. In my current role the CEO is usually in the office from 7am-7/8pm every day so it is more palatable when the same is expected is expected of you. This is not the case at GQR where you are expected to work a standard 8am-8pm job, but Hugo will generally arrive at the office at 9(ish)am and leave most days between 6-7pm.

• Create an actual growth plan that you want to achieve and then when hiring experienced people to build out these areas trust that they understand that area of the market and know how to achieve results in that area.
    • Invest in training (it was almost nonexistent)
    • Create an environment where employees feel like they are truly valued, and not being milked for every penny of revenue possible
    • Stop that god-awful, embarrassingly cringy “ringing up” of deals
    • On a separate note its no surprise to me that all reviews of GQR were all logged on the 21st/22nd of July. A sceptic may think that this is being used as PR exercise from some of the senior management to clean up their image after a raft of negative reviews

GQR was founded on similar principles to my own so it was a natural fit really.

Former Employee - Head of Trading Technology  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Head of Trading Technology in London, England (UK)

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I’ve always had a strong work ethic and wanted to earn life changing money– GQR seemed to be founded on similar principles so it was a natural fit really. I felt GQR offered unrivalled opportunity for career progression and the chance to learn from people who founded a recruitment business in an unprecedented period of national recession. After joining as a Researcher I led a team in a market that was ever-growing…and I’d only been there 2-years. I’d accelerated through 4-levels of internal corporate bandings.

Cons

The role had been most challenging i.e. long hours, competitive marketplace but equally rewarding.

There are newer employer reviews for GQR Global Markets

Worked for GQR Global Markets? Contribute to the Community!