There are newer employer reviews for GSD&M

A False Sense of Superiority

Former Employee - Media in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Media in Austin, TX

I worked at GSD&M full-time (less than a year)

Pros

GSD&M has had some good accounts and good names. Working at GSD&M will get you a GREAT, solid foundation for the next steps in your advertising career. You will work, you will learn, and you will be productive. I am glad to have earned valuable experience at such a reputable company, but...

Cons

People are NOT happy at GSD&M. I don't see people smiling, ever. When I interviewed other place and people actually talked to me in the elevator, I had no idea what to do. The only words I can use to describe the culture are "cold" and "unnurturing." It's truly everybody for themselves.

They are also losing accounts. Mastercard. AT&T. BMW. Southwest just announced they were opening their creative for RFP. It's not looking bright with only one big win over the past year.

On my particular team, advice was given by bringing your errors back to your intelligence level. I can name several times that interns or entry-level employees were aggressively addressed for even the smallest of mistakes due to miscommunication, where a simple correction would have been just as productive and resulted in less self-depreciation.

An intense hierarchy... the assistants go through the planners, who go through the senior planners, who go through the supervisors, who go through the directors before anything can get done. Archaic, almost.

They pay the lowest salaries in Austin for the industry, and rather than promoting within, they seek outside of the company.

I wouldn't recommend entry-level people work at GSD&M, but it could be better for those who are entering the company at a more senior level.

Smile. Be humble. Nurture your team. The people that work there are excited to work with you because of your good history.

reviews filtered by
  1. They lost their way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at GSD&M

Pros

GSD&M produces good creative for their clients and that is a huge point of pride in the agency. They have a good solid infrastructure that supports the agency, and they know how to throw a good party.

Cons

Like many other ad agencies, their work-life balance leaves something to be desired. They were very slow to experiment with the digital space and it feels like they are still playing catch up. For many long-term employees salary freezes have been in place for the last 4-5 years.

They need a good executive creative director -- someone who can creatively lead the agency and make them competitive in the market.

2. Fantastic work place, great people, great experience.

Current Employee - Account Management Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Management Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at GSD&M

Pros

The atmosphere at GSD&M is electric, everyone is happy, working hard, laughing. The office is full of 400+ type A, sarcastic types. Everyone knows how to have a good laugh and enjoy themselves, but they also work their butts off to provide the best work for clients.

Cons

I've worked there for a while now but I haven't gotten much feedback about the possibility of being hired. From what I know, the salaries for junior level positions are some of the lowest in the industry, as well, and promotions/raises haven't been given for a long time.

Compensate your employees a little bit better!!

There are newer employer reviews for GSD&M