GSD&M
www.gsdm.com Austin, TX 150 to 499 Employees

A False Sense of Superiority

Media (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

ProsGSD&M has had some good accounts and good names. Working at GSD&M will get you a GREAT, solid foundation for the next steps in your advertising career. You will work, you will learn, and you will be productive. I am glad to have earned valuable experience at such a reputable company, but...

ConsPeople are NOT happy at GSD&M. I don't see people smiling, ever. When I interviewed other place and people actually talked to me in the elevator, I had no idea what to do. The only words I can use to describe the culture are "cold" and "unnurturing." It's truly everybody for themselves.

They are also losing accounts. Mastercard. AT&T. BMW. Southwest just announced they were opening their creative for RFP. It's not looking bright with only one big win over the past year.

On my particular team, advice was given by bringing your errors back to your intelligence level. I can name several times that interns or entry-level employees were aggressively addressed for even the smallest of mistakes due to miscommunication, where a simple correction would have been just as productive and resulted in less self-depreciation.

An intense hierarchy... the assistants go through the planners, who go through the senior planners, who go through the supervisors, who go through the directors before anything can get done. Archaic, almost.

They pay the lowest salaries in Austin for the industry, and rather than promoting within, they seek outside of the company.

I wouldn't recommend entry-level people work at GSD&M, but it could be better for those who are entering the company at a more senior level.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmile. Be humble. Nurture your team. The people that work there are excited to work with you because of your good history.

They lost their way

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at GSD&M

Pros: GSD&M produces good creative for their clients and that is a huge point of pride in the agency.… Cons: Like many other ad agencies, their work-life balance leaves something to be desired. They were very slow to experiment with the digital space and… Advice to Senior Management: They need a good executive creative director -- someone who can… More

Fantastic work place, great people, great experience.

Account Management Intern (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

I have been working at GSD&M

Pros: The atmosphere at GSD&M is electric, everyone is happy, working hard, laughing. The office is full of 400+ type A, sarcastic types. Everyone… Cons: I've worked there for a while now but I haven't gotten much feedback about the possibility of being hired. From what I know, the… Advice to Senior Management: Compensate your employees a little bit better!! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on GSD&M.

Worked for GSD&M? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GSD&M reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GSD&M CEO Duff M. Stewart. All reviews posted anonymously by GSD&M employees.