GSD&M

www.gsdm.com
  www.gsdm.com
There are newer employer reviews for GSD&M

Great company culture, people, and work.

Current Employee - Account Director in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Account Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at GSD&M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They really care about their people.
They are passionate about the work.
Great clients.
Don't put up with people or clients being disrespectful. to their employees.
'Freedom and Responsibility" are core values they take seriously leading to a very entrepreneurial environment.
The founders are wonderful people, and have set the tone for the great culture.

Cons

They do not seem to have grown over the last few years from a financial perspective, leading to less competitive compensation packages.

48 Other Employee Reviews for GSD&M (View Most Recent)

great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at GSD&M full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

freedom and responsibility, curiousity, winning

Cons

grew too fast in my opinion

A False Sense of Superiority

Former Employee - Media in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Media in Austin, TX

I worked at GSD&M full-time (less than an year)

Pros

GSD&M has had some good accounts and good names. Working at GSD&M will get you a GREAT, solid foundation for the next steps in your advertising career. You will work, you will learn, and you will be productive. I am glad to have earned valuable experience at such a reputable company, but...

Cons

People are NOT happy at GSD&M. I don't see people smiling, ever. When I interviewed other place and people actually talked to me in the elevator, I had no idea what to do. The only words I can use to describe the culture are "cold" and "unnurturing." It's truly everybody for themselves.

They are also losing accounts. Mastercard. AT&T. BMW. Southwest just announced they were opening their creative for RFP. It's not looking bright with only one big win over the past year.

On my particular team, advice was given by bringing your errors back to your intelligence level. I can name several times that interns or entry-level employees were aggressively addressed for even the smallest of mistakes due to miscommunication, where a simple correction would have been just as productive and resulted in less self-depreciation.

An intense hierarchy... the assistants go through the planners, who go through the senior planners, who go through the supervisors, who go through the directors before anything can get done. Archaic, almost.

They pay the lowest salaries in Austin for the industry, and rather than promoting within, they seek outside of the company.

I wouldn't recommend entry-level people work at GSD&M, but it could be better for those who are entering the company at a more senior level.

Smile. Be humble. Nurture your team. The people that work there are excited to work with you because of your good history.

There are newer employer reviews for GSD&M