There are newer employer reviews for GSD&M

Legacy agency in need of visionary leadership

Former Employee - Account Service in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Account Service in Austin, TX

I worked at GSD&M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. The client roster is growing and getting more interesting in recent years. Bringing on younger, more relevant creative talent to compete in today's marketplace. If you are just starting your career, they are a good agency to "cut your teeth on" given process and IdeaU opportunities.

Cons

Leadership is seriously lacking. Duff is out of touch with the talent within the walls and is too buried in financials to recognize the stars. They have been hemorrhaging good people over the last few years. Folks that lived, breathed and contributed to the culture -- and could get anywhere from 20-50% higher pay elsewhere in Austin, or anywhere else in the country easily. Account Management is horrendously broken. Lots of client drones that don't fight for good work. The entire department needs to be overhauled, and get a leader that can inspire everyone from the dinosaur GADs to the fresh AAEs.

Advice to Management

Have a vision, not a budget forecast. Inspire, don't use scare tactics. Trim the fat, reward the rising stars. Being "on the same page" should be more than a checklist. Get Roy and Judy back involved; the heart and soul of the agency left with them.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at GSD&M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

freedom and responsibility, curiousity, winning

Cons

grew too fast in my opinion

A False Sense of Superiority

Former Employee - Media in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Media in Austin, TX

I worked at GSD&M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GSD&M has had some good accounts and good names. Working at GSD&M will get you a GREAT, solid foundation for the next steps in your advertising career. You will work, you will learn, and you will be productive. I am glad to have earned valuable experience at such a reputable company, but...

Cons

People are NOT happy at GSD&M. I don't see people smiling, ever. When I interviewed other place and people actually talked to me in the elevator, I had no idea what to do. The only words I can use to describe the culture are "cold" and "unnurturing." It's truly everybody for themselves. They are also losing accounts. Mastercard. AT&T. BMW. Southwest just announced they were opening their creative for RFP. It's not looking bright with only one big win over the past year. On my particular team, advice was given by bringing your errors back to your intelligence level. I can name several times that interns or entry-level employees were aggressively addressed for even the smallest of mistakes due to miscommunication, where a simple correction would have been just as productive and resulted in less self-depreciation. An intense hierarchy... the assistants go through the planners, who go through the senior planners, who go through the supervisors, who go through the directors before anything can get done. Archaic, almost. They pay the lowest salaries in Austin for the industry, and rather than promoting within, they seek outside of the company. I wouldn't recommend entry-level people work at GSD&M, but it could be better for those who are entering the company at a more senior level.

Advice to Management

Smile. Be humble. Nurture your team. The people that work there are excited to work with you because of your good history.