There are newer employer reviews for GSD&M

Learned so much!

Current Employee - Media Planner  in  Austin, TX
Current Employee - Media Planner in Austin, TX

I have been working at GSD&M as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was a media planning intern during the summer of 2012. I've had internships at different advertising and marketing agencies before and GSD&M was by far the best. It was not a typical "go-for" internship, but I was actually doing work valuable to the team. I learned how to use various software such as Centrix and many of the Neilson products. I'd definitely recommend an internship here.

Cons

During the summer interns were only allowed to work 20 hours a week. Plus pay was minimum, so you didn't really make too much money.

46 Other Employee Reviews for GSD&M (View Most Recent)

Legacy agency in need of visionary leadership

Former Employee - Account Service  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Service in Austin, TX

I worked at GSD&M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people. The client roster is growing and getting more interesting in recent years. Bringing on younger, more relevant creative talent to compete in today's marketplace. If you are just starting your career, they are a good agency to "cut your teeth on" given process and IdeaU opportunities.

Cons

Leadership is seriously lacking. Duff is out of touch with the talent within the walls and is too buried in financials to recognize the stars. They have been hemorrhaging good people over the last few years. Folks that lived, breathed and contributed to the culture -- and could get anywhere from 20-50% higher pay elsewhere in Austin, or anywhere else in the country easily. Account Management is horrendously broken. Lots of client drones that don't fight for good work. The entire department needs to be overhauled, and get a leader that can inspire everyone from the dinosaur GADs to the fresh AAEs.

Have a vision, not a budget forecast. Inspire, don't use scare tactics. Trim the fat, reward the rising stars. Being "on the same page" should be more than a checklist. Get Roy and Judy back involved; the heart and soul of the agency left with them.

Great company culture, people, and work.

Current Employee - Account Director  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at GSD&M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They really care about their people.
    They are passionate about the work.
    Great clients.
    Don't put up with people or clients being disrespectful. to their employees.
    'Freedom and Responsibility" are core values they take seriously leading to a very entrepreneurial environment.
    The founders are wonderful people, and have set the tone for the great culture.

Cons

They do not seem to have grown over the last few years from a financial perspective, leading to less competitive compensation packages.

There are newer employer reviews for GSD&M

Worked for GSD&M? Contribute to the Community!