There are newer employer reviews for GTS Group

I received a solid foundation to what became my career.

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Sterling, VA
Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Sterling, VA

I worked at GTS Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GTS stresses the importance of procedures, follow up and follow through. There is a reason why things are done the way they are and accountability is established at all levels. Their ISO certification goes a long way in the industry and the company has a well diversified client base, so 1) they are more secure than other companies in their industry and 2) their employees are able to experience a well rounded approach to the industry by managing all types of shipments and commodities. Yes, lunch on Fridays was good as another reviewer pointed out and their health ins., and 401 K matching while I was there were well above industry average. More importantly, I learned how to enhance my problem solving abilities and GTS gave me a well rounded approach to most aspects of business management. I cannot stress the importance of this enough, as it has served me very well and will continue to do so. Others are not as fortunate and if you do take a job at GTS I would suggest embracing their approach to compliance and procedures. When I was there my successes were rewarded and my failures were constructively criticized.

Cons

I believe I was there at a different time than the first reviewer, as there was enough support and training to get you settled and operating autonomously. Could it have been better? Yes, but I think it's important to note that this is an industry where you either get it or you don't. Particularly within the Logistics Industry a sink or swim mentality to some extent is healthy. I'm not suggesting this is GTS' approach, but I've seen plenty of smart people in this industry fail and to be brutally honest, the company (GTS or similar) is sometimes better off operating without these employees.

Advice to Management

I would give some thought to investing more in beginner training if you haven't already. At the same time I would honestly convey to new hires (as you did with me) that they should be expected to ask questions, problem solve on their own and should be expected to operate independently within xx days from hire date.

Continue to reward success and look for learning opportunities in the mistakes that are made. Continue to refine procedures and streamline the cargo management process. This should be a key component to any logistics company and I believe GTS has a leg up on it's competition in this area. Keep it up.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not a employee oriented company

Current Employee - Warehouse in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Washington, DC

I have been working at GTS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch on Fridays (pizza)
    Company paid benefits

Cons

Management is rude and unprofessional. You are expected to work late almost every week but they put you as salary so you don't receive over time and it's against company policy to get comp time even if you've worked way over the normal 40 hours in a week. It's been expected to stay as late as midnight in some cases and if you are unable to do this, management is extremely unprofessional and will use it against you.

Advice to Management

Care about benefits and incentives for your employees especially when asking so much of their time and giving nothing back or continue to expect turn around.

Not an organization you'd want to work for

Former Employee - Operations Agent in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Agent in Sterling, VA

I worked at GTS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunches on Fridays
    Sent me to a 3 day course on shipping dangerous goods
    Outside sales people would occasionally visit who were very friendly

Cons

Extremely long days (10-11 hours average) and workweeks with no paid overtime
    Operations agents were very understaffed and received no help from upper management
    Ops agents expected to handle all warehouse duties on top of a ridiculous office workload
    Stressful environment with zero tolerance for mistakes

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and actually have an employee who has a human resources role or duties. Unless you want to keep up the high turnover rates