There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Go somewhere else...

Former Employee - Game Advisor  in  Louisville, KY
Former Employee - Game Advisor in Louisville, KY

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Flexible hours, great co-workers, the store management team was easy and fun to work with, if you enjoy video games then working here is definitely a plus!

Cons

I constantly felt that, though the management at my store was great, the upper-management was horrible. I'm pretty sure they just view the store workers as slave labors and we get almost no respect and communication from them.

Treat your employees that actually deal with the customers with respect, these are the people that make the company run. At minimum, at least communicate with us so we know why things are the way they are, so we don't just hate you for no reason.

1301 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

GameStop is not worth the time or effort.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at GameStop

Pros

-Attending once yearly Store Managers' conference
    -Working with a fun product
    -Ability to "check out" any video game for 4 days

Cons

-Glaring lack of support from higher-up management in the form of payroll, training, or guidance
    -Compensation is considerably lower than most other retailers
    -Company obsession with concrete metrics leaves little room for true customer service, instead an employee must be more focused on making a sale than on customer satisfaction
    -Bullying attitude of upper management towards minority employees, especially females
    -No consistency in training or follow-up
    -Lack of professionalism prevalent at all levels of management
    -Company disregards value and worth of employees, is instead focused on cheaply increasing margins in order to please stockholders at the expense of salaried individuals

Management is too focused on coming up with cheap tricks in order to artificially inflate value and growth numbers, and the price for these charades is paid by the employees. GameStop's resources should be more focused on creating a better shopping environment for consumers and a better work environment for employees.

A lot of work, no hours, no tangible compensation

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor  in  Watchung, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Watchung, NJ

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

-get to borrow games
    It's nice to borrow games without having to buy them, but we can only borrow preowned games. So customers will know how the game is before we do. Customers expect us to know about the games and assume we play everything. Why not?

-talk about video games all day
    Talk amongst ourselves and with customers about games, which is great

-great employee connection
    My store manager and assistant managers are awesome and they really welcomed me and we lean each other when the work gets to be too much.

Cons

-too much emphasis on reservations and Power Up Reward subscriptions
    Forget customer service, your employment at this company thrives on whether you perform in those areas or not. Not everyone wants to have yet another membership card to add to their already large collection, but we are forced shove it down their throats just so we don't get written up for not performing adequately.

Customers know when games are coming out and there aren't that many adequate pre-order incentives, yet we still have to basically beg for someone to put $5 on something just so we don't get in trouble. I don't understand why we get in trouble if customers aren't interested in reserved the latest games.

-not enough hours, too much work
    Whether inventory counts or RSB's (shipping games out to other stores in the company), we have a lot to do during the week. If the store doesn't make the quota for the week, it doesn't get a lot of payroll. If you don't make the sales quota, we don't get enough hours. Sometimes, I will be by myself from 10am to 3pm, and it gets ridiculously busy at times. How can one person open the store every single day? Not to mention that my store manager has to resort to working a double at least twice a week since his hours don't count toward the payroll. Then, the three of us have to basically run the store by ourselves because we can't afford to put anyone else on. Tell me how any of this is fair when the amount of payroll is decided by how much the company wants to pay the employees.

And the store manager works for free a lot of the time. He only gets paid for 40 hours, but sometimes he'll put in 60 hours just so the rest of us don't go over time because the company gets pissed when you do that. Even then, hours have to be cut because we can't afford to go over the alloted hours for the week. We can't even get paid overtime because the company flips out at that. God forbid we want to get paid for doing all the work they want us to do.

-no tangible compensation
    Vendors come every so often, but they give us t-shirts and lanyards. It would be nice if our own company appreciated the amount of work we do and compensated us with gift cards and free games. Actually, if you're going to do that, why not give the employees commissions since upper managment set such high goals for sales, trades, reserves and subs? Or hold contests for employees to win a trip somewhere (Comic-Con or E3). Just a suggestion.

Some of us work extremely hard with customers and perform exceptionally, but there is no reward for any of it. My store manager does his best to reward us, but he does it out of his own pocket. While I'm grateful that he shows us his appreciation, it shouldn't have to be that way.

Customers and employees are your bread and butter. Treat your employees with respect and compensate them for the work they do (more free stuff). Don't expect them to work hard, and not get paid for it. Employees bring customers into the store, and with no employees, you have no customers.

Give customers more incentives to join the PUR program (25% Pro discount/ 10% free discount). 10% on preowned is nothing compared to what they can get at other places. Give them a better reason to spend money in your stores.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!