GameStop

Go somewhere else...

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Louisville, KY
Former Employee - Game Advisor in Louisville, KY

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Flexible hours, great co-workers, the store management team was easy and fun to work with, if you enjoy video games then working here is definitely a plus!

Cons

I constantly felt that, though the management at my store was great, the upper-management was horrible. I'm pretty sure they just view the store workers as slave labors and we get almost no respect and communication from them.

Treat your employees that actually deal with the customers with respect, these are the people that make the company run. At minimum, at least communicate with us so we know why things are the way they are, so we don't just hate you for no reason.

1439 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

GameStop is not worth the time or effort.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at GameStop

Pros

-Attending once yearly Store Managers' conference
    -Working with a fun product
    -Ability to "check out" any video game for 4 days

Cons

-Glaring lack of support from higher-up management in the form of payroll, training, or guidance
    -Compensation is considerably lower than most other retailers
    -Company obsession with concrete metrics leaves little room for true customer service, instead an employee must be more focused on making a sale than on customer satisfaction
    -Bullying attitude of upper management towards minority employees, especially females
    -No consistency in training or follow-up
    -Lack of professionalism prevalent at all levels of management
    -Company disregards value and worth of employees, is instead focused on cheaply increasing margins in order to please stockholders at the expense of salaried individuals

Management is too focused on coming up with cheap tricks in order to artificially inflate value and growth numbers, and the price for these charades is paid by the employees. GameStop's resources should be more focused on creating a better shopping environment for consumers and a better work environment for employees.

Not for the ambitious

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Fun atmosphere
    Highly achievable sales goals
    Advancement opportunities are plentiful if one makes their presence felt to to management and their peers

Cons

Frequent Micro management
    Results oriented NOT process oriented
    Management is uneducated, virtually all of my bosses were without a college degree

Micro management and a strict formula breeds mediocrity.
    To get the company where it needs to be you must begin with people, and create a culture of professionalism. Unfortunately that is not what you advocate through communication, or actions.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop