There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

One step forward, two steps back.

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Alpharetta, GA
Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

Mostly young staff, good discounts, sometimes fun customers, inside industry news and knowledge, fast-paced environment, relaxed dress code, flexible hours.

Cons

Schedule based on performance, pressure from management to make hard sales, handling dirty used games and consoles, sales model based on pure profit from customers.

GameStop has virtually no competition, it makes all of it's money from used game sales. Quit pressuring customers for sales and provide a boutique-style experience in the store to make them comfortable and keep them coming back. Recognize when an employee works hard and not just employees who sell hard using dirty tactics used by management.

reviews filtered by
  1. This is why people go to college

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at GameStop

Pros

The discount. The hours were also good.

Cons

Customers Customers Customers. Inept Management. Horrible corporate managers.

Focus more on customer service, do not ignore your employees.

2. Fulfilling, fun, and helpful to the growth of your experiences.

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Blasdell, NY
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Blasdell, NY

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

I really enjoyed not having commission and a lot of pressure for sales. When I described products to customers, I had no purpose in selling something someone wouldn't like, enjoy, or use. I came to recognize a lot of customers, and they recognized me, making the workplace a more friendly and mutually beneficial place. GA's (as well as all other levels of management at the stores) have to sell magazines, reservations on games, and warranties, but a few of those a day is a natural part of the job; and as long as you don't go hog wild it's not difficult to find people who would use them. Most of the training is spent on the why and how, rather than on the 'how to do more faster' techniques.
    Management also feels like they're a part of the team rather than creating a 'Do as I say' kind of environment.

Cons

They should be paid for for what they can do. The hours available (even at a Senior Game Advisor level) are appalling until holiday time.

I wish GameStop spent more on their employees' wages rather than being so wasteful. They probably pay them so little so they can be wasteful and make mistakes. If management considered this when training, and subsequently when giving their yearly performance reviews/raises the GA position could more accurately be rewarded for their good work.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop