Overall OK

Current Employee - Vice President in Grapevine, TX
Current Employee - Vice President in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

Good benefits for full-time employees.

Cons

LImited growth. Management is so focused on digital, other areas are forgotten.

Advice to Management

Raines needs to spend more time working on promoting himself and get the company back on track.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Once a week? No thanks!

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Viera, FL
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Viera, FL

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

Great environment to discuss games, lots of awesome insider info, 15 percent discount on games, fun and generally easy job.

Cons

Not a lot of customer traffic since economy has went down, Seasonal employees only get One work day a week for only 3 hours. And if you call out from your one day a week, they don't call you in for another day or reschedule.

Advice to Management

Give the employees more hours. Management shouldn't be the only one getting all the hours, otherwise, why even hire us?

2. 6 Years at GameStop

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

I have worked at GameStop for six years. The work and the people at the store level are amazing. Most of the people I have worked with give their heart and soul to GameStop. It is very easy to get great satisfaction in making your store tidy and working with the customers. GameStop's return policy is also one of the best in retail so as an employee you RARELY have to argue with customers to make sure you follow the polices.

Cons

There is only negative reinforcement. Rarely do they tell you, you did a good job. You can have 6 amazing months of numbers and one bad week... They only care about the bad week. Their lack of hours given to the stores mean that Store Managers must work between 50-70 hours a week to be successful. I was a Store Manager for 2 years and asked to be demoted because the 10-30 extra hours per week were not equal to the $100 difference per pay check every 2 weeks. Finally as a Store Manager you are given very little control over your store. You are allowed to hire (if other managers also interviewed the candidate) allowed to fire (only with the District Managers approval) you really have no say on what goes where in the store in which you are responsible.

Advice to Management

Help develop your employees to be better leaders and treat them as adults. Holding hands is not required. In the current economy we have lots of people with degrees and advanced degrees running the stores and they should be treated as such.