GameStop

www.gamestop.com

Excellent work experience.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

* It's a job where you talk about and sell video games all day. Compared to other retail positions I have held in the past, this is a major improvement.
* Plenty of growth opportunity -- Assuming you work hard and apply yourself, and go into this job without an expectation of playing video games all day (I definitely do not), you will go far. I have been employed with this company for a little over a year, and I have already reached Assistant Store Manager.
* Management is great -- I have met regional managers, and the CEO apparently comes through our town occasionally. While this has always been somewhat nerve-wracking (when isn't it?), they have all been friendly and approachable, from store managers to a spectacular District Manager to our regional managers. We have a particularly great DM, who is not afraid to get his hands dirty and run a register when it is necessary.
* Hard work is recognized and rewarded. If you do your job well, it is noticed, and praise is offered quite regularly. On weeks when my performance was best in the district, my DM has made a point to point this out and praise me for as much. It's little things like this that make me feel that my job is worthwhile. If you shine enough, you're certain to be seen.
* Benefits: While I have not taken advantage of our benefits yet, I have access to health care and other options. Vacation is a welcome change, as well, after years of working at part time jobs. After working as an ASM for 6 months, you receive personal, sick, and vacation time.
* Security: I feel quite secure in my job at GameStop, with little worry that I will be randomly laid off. Work hard and be honest, and you will not have trouble.
* Pay - While the pay is not the best in the world, I feel secure in my finances at the level that I am at now. It only stands to get better, as well.
* Discount -- A 15% discount on all but new systems, this is spectacular. Even better is the extra 10% offered when you purchase pre-owned items with the Powerup Rewards card. The ability to check out pre-owned games is also quite useful, especially to further product knowledge.

Cons

* Time and patience -- In turn, it also takes time for all of that hard work to be recognized. As a Game Advisor, I was frustrated by the minimum wage pay and sore lack of hours. Openings happen all the time, however, and I was soon promoted to Senior Game Advisor. At that point, it was a little frustrating, waiting to be promoted to ASM. However, I only had to wait a year. If you persist and keep doing your job to the best of your ability, it will happen, but you have to do your time first.
* This is NOT the kind of job most people expect it to be. If you expect this job to be easy, where you get to play with the display models all day, then you're barking up the wrong tree. In the time that I have worked there, I have never even had the time to play on any of our interactives while on the clock. This is a store, run by a small employee base; it needs to be maintained by everyone employed there.
* Pay -- The Game Advisor and Senior Game Advisor pay rates aren't particularly great, and can at times be a source of great frustration. Keep your nose down and keep working hard, and it will pay off in the end.

Honestly, there is little I can say to management about improvement. This is a well run company with a spectacular business model, a spectacular membership program (Powerup Rewards), and spectacular employees. I am very happy with my job.