There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Fun place to work with the right employees, but very stressful sales goals.

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Cleveland, OH
Former Employee - Game Advisor in Cleveland, OH

I worked at GameStop

Pros

-Get to check out games for a few days
-Fun employees
-Discount
-Easy to learn register
-Easily request days off
-Easy to advance if you're good

With the right team, you will have fun at work. Personally, I've never had a manager I didn't like or didn't get along with. If you love video games, you'll feel at home. You always know of promotions before the public, and you get first access to games when people trade them in. Checking out games was my favorite part.
Managers will work around your second job or school. If you say you can't work Tuesdays and Thursday, they will keep that in mind. It's easy to request days off, and they will honor it. I went to anime conventions all the time, and I was never not able to go because of work.

Cons

-Always work evenings and weekends
-Few hours
-Sometimes hard to hit goals
-CAN be difficult to keep up with knowledge.
-Customers WILL argue about the stores trade and return policies.

Working part time as a game adviser at Gamestop will give you about 4-12 hours a week, except for Nov-Dec. It's always going to be an evening shift (4-9) or a weekend (mostly evening) shift. Which can be okay if you're in high school or already have a job and looking for extra income/discount on video games, but it's definitely not able to live on alone.
You have to ask people to pre-order video games and sell them the rewards card. It's a quick question, but a lot of people will say no and it gets discouraging over time. You will have your good days and your bad days. The percentage of your reservation/card sales is calculated over week, and some stores rank their employees.
Customers will complain about anything - ultimately making a fool out of themselves, but it's still irritating to deal with after a while. You can usually do a lot to help the customers, but there are some policies that you CANNOT CHANGE. Completely understandable, but customers will sometimes get nasty with you and say things like "well JCPenney let's you do this!". Trade-in credit is something you cannot alter, for example, but people will always argue with you as if you personally are setting the price, and not the computer.

Advice to Management

Encourage employees to do better without drilling "sales" into their heads. Treat employees better. If they do well, TELL THEM. We love hearing how good we're doing. If they need improvement, GIVE THEM TIPS to how they can improve. In one word: Communicate.

reviews filtered by

Stay Away

Former Employee - Store Manager in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Discount
    Borrow games for free
    Midnight Events

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals
    You cant hire adults(child driven business)
    Dm's dont know how to lead instead they micro manage
    poor hours
    no quality of life
    Just Plain SHADY!

Advice to Management

Try stepping into a store managers shoes for a week. Maybe then you will understand

2. One of the worse jobs I've ever had

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Gambrills, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Gambrills, MD

I worked at GameStop

Pros

We got to rent games and play them.
    Every once in a while we'd get some pretty nice swag in the form of shirts.

Cons

Pay was pitiful.
    Manager would make us come in, without pay, and work for hours after close of business to clean things.
    Corporate management was a joke. They couldn't care less about the employees.
    The Senior Game Advisors would get saddled with all of the management work while the Assistant and Store managers didn't do anything.

Advice to Management

Pay your people decent wages! It felt like the SGAs were stuck doing all of the major work in the store, and if something didn't happen, it was always our faults. Also, being expected to work every Friday night, Saturday night, and all day Sundays got old fast.