GameStop

www.gamestop.com

Fun place to work with the right employees, but very stressful sales goals.

Game Advisor (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

Pros-Get to check out games for a few days
-Fun employees
-Discount
-Easy to learn register
-Easily request days off
-Easy to advance if you're good

With the right team, you will have fun at work. Personally, I've never had a manager I didn't like or didn't get along with. If you love video games, you'll feel at home. You always know of promotions before the public, and you get first access to games when people trade them in. Checking out games was my favorite part.
Managers will work around your second job or school. If you say you can't work Tuesdays and Thursday, they will keep that in mind. It's easy to request days off, and they will honor it. I went to anime conventions all the time, and I was never not able to go because of work.

Cons-Always work evenings and weekends
-Few hours
-Sometimes hard to hit goals
-CAN be difficult to keep up with knowledge.
-Customers WILL argue about the stores trade and return policies.

Working part time as a game adviser at Gamestop will give you about 4-12 hours a week, except for Nov-Dec. It's always going to be an evening shift (4-9) or a weekend (mostly evening) shift. Which can be okay if you're in high school or already have a job and looking for extra income/discount on video games, but it's definitely not able to live on alone.
You have to ask people to pre-order video games and sell them the rewards card. It's a quick question, but a lot of people will say no and it gets discouraging over time. You will have your good days and your bad days. The percentage of your reservation/card sales is calculated over week, and some stores rank their employees.
Customers will complain about anything - ultimately making a fool out of themselves, but it's still irritating to deal with after a while. You can usually do a lot to help the customers, but there are some policies that you CANNOT CHANGE. Completely understandable, but customers will sometimes get nasty with you and say things like "well JCPenney let's you do this!". Trade-in credit is something you cannot alter, for example, but people will always argue with you as if you personally are setting the price, and not the computer.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage employees to do better without drilling "sales" into their heads. Treat employees better. If they do well, TELL THEM. We love hearing how good we're doing. If they need improvement, GIVE THEM TIPS to how they can improve. In one word: Communicate.

Disappointing and frustrating.

Game Advisor (Former Employee) Ocean City, MD

I worked at GameStop

Pros: - You can check out video games. - Employee discount. - You get to learn about new… Cons: - Pays minimum wage. - NO HOURS! I was getting 40 hours a week when I first started, but it eventually got to the point… Advice to Senior Management: Don't hire a bunch of employees and give everyone like 3 hours a week! Give those extra hours to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Stay Away

Store Manager (Former Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at GameStop

Pros: Discount Borrow games for free Midnight Events Cons: Unrealistic sales goals You cant hire adults(child driven business) Dm's dont know how… Advice to Senior Management: Try stepping into a store managers shoes for a week.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on GameStop.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!