Fun coworkers, okay company

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a lot of face time with customers. You get to help them and build relationships that get them coming back to your store. With the proper training (key words there) you learn some great sales skills. If you like alphabetizing this is your heaven on earth. They're also really good about harassment issues. I had to report my assistant store manager a few months ago and they didn't waste any time fixing. They let me temporarily transfer to a store of my choice while they talked to her (and they also have a non-retaliation policy so you can sleep sound that once it's settled it's settled forever).

Cons

The company doesn't care about you as a person. They don't have a set training system and rely solely on managers to train you. That's fine when you have a great manager. But when you don't you don't get the training you need in order to meet the requirements GameStop sets for you. And when you don't meet those requirements they punish you. They cut your hours and expect you to get better under more pressure, impossible expectations and less time. I'm lucky in that my latest manager is awesome at helping me improve. But I struggled constantly before he was transferred to my store because my other managers didn't care. If you don't have a strong management in your store you have little to no resources to better yourself as a worker on your own. In my experience, upper management (like district managers and higher) relies more on negative reinforcement than positive. So you've got to learn to develop a thick skin. Absorb and learn from the constructive criticism and brush off everything else.

Advice to Management

Spend a day or two in one of your trouble stores. Then you can see how to make them better. I work in the busiest store in my district (and it happens to be in the middle of the ghetto, too) and the regular rules don't apply there. We work our butts off just to keep the store together, let alone keep things up to your impossible standards. Just because they work for a super slow store in the middle of an upscale neighborhood where you don't have kids knocking shelves off the walls every other hour, it doesn't mean they're gonna work for every store you have. I'd suggest spending some time in different stores. Learn how they work and what they are actually capable of doing. And then tailor your requirements appropriately.

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

Absolute Garbage, wouldn't even make my worst enemy work there

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounted games, benefits package for managers.

Cons

Absolute insane demands that force you to harass customers to get daily quotas of things no one wants to buy, such as rewards memberships and magazine subscriptions. You are judged solely on the amount of add-ons and preorders you sell and your customer service and ability to run a store are ignored.

Advice to Management

Give people a fair price for their used games, ever since the EB buyout you have made it a company policy to screw over your customer base.

2. Hours were few, but it was fun

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burke, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burke, VA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, videogames, enjoying a welcoming atmosphere, working in the videogame industry

Cons

Hours, pay, pay upgrades, preferred employees get more hours, timeline of employment promotions

Advice to Management

Share the time alotted to employees per week a bit better