GameStop

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Fun coworkers, okay company

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a lot of face time with customers. You get to help them and build relationships that get them coming back to your store. With the proper training (key words there) you learn some great sales skills. If you like alphabetizing this is your heaven on earth. They're also really good about harassment issues. I had to report my assistant store manager a few months ago and they didn't waste any time fixing. They let me temporarily transfer to a store of my choice while they talked to her (and they also have a non-retaliation policy so you can sleep sound that once it's settled it's settled forever).

Cons

The company doesn't care about you as a person. They don't have a set training system and rely solely on managers to train you. That's fine when you have a great manager. But when you don't you don't get the training you need in order to meet the requirements GameStop sets for you. And when you don't meet those requirements they punish you. They cut your hours and expect you to get better under more pressure, impossible expectations and less time. I'm lucky in that my latest manager is awesome at helping me improve. But I struggled constantly before he was transferred to my store because my other managers didn't care. If you don't have a strong management in your store you have little to no resources to better yourself as a worker on your own. In my experience, upper management (like district managers and higher) relies more on negative reinforcement than positive. So you've got to learn to develop a thick skin. Absorb and learn from the constructive criticism and brush off everything else.

Spend a day or two in one of your trouble stores. Then you can see how to make them better. I work in the busiest store in my district (and it happens to be in the middle of the ghetto, too) and the regular rules don't apply there. We work our butts off just to keep the store together, let alone keep things up to your impossible standards. Just because they work for a super slow store in the middle of an upscale neighborhood where you don't have kids knocking shelves off the walls every other hour, it doesn't mean they're gonna work for every store you have. I'd suggest spending some time in different stores. Learn how they work and what they are actually capable of doing. And then tailor your requirements appropriately.

1439 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

Supervisor/Keyholder/3rd Key

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy dealing with games and spreading your game knowledge with others, the job is okay,

Cons

Over-worked, do as much work as upper management, and get paid alot less, the pay is horrible for the work you do

Give better pay, and don't throw all the work last minute on the Senior Game Advisors

Dull, disorganized, but it's a simple job.

Former Employee - Game Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get paid on time.

Cons

For the flagship store, it looks rundown and badly put together. The same 20 minutes worth of data in the tv loops all day long, sometimes twice in a row blasting at a high volume. Like with all retail, you have to pester the customers and get an impossible amount of 'promotions' sold, or the managers will berate you. Few people buy promos at midtown Manhattan, it's all tourism.

The system we used at the registers was archaic, we had problems with them at least once a day, and sometimes 3/4 of the computers would fail and we would have to restart them in the middle of a busy day. Overall, the inside of the store just looked grimy no matter how we tried to clean it.

Your employee discount is also garbage, especially if you live at a high tax zone like NYC (nearly 9% tax). It's a 15% discount on all products. For example, a $59.99 new game would become $55.49 after the employee discount and tax application. So don't think you're working here for the employee discount, there isn't really one. "Oh, but you can buy Power Up Pro at $15 a year and you can get an additional 10% off for a total of 25% off." I don't buy used games because that doesn't support the publishers, so the PUP cards are irrelevant.

Management probably does their best, corporate on the other hand could acknowledge when their design choice for a game store isn't working. It doesn't look clean cut like the Nintendo store, it looks like you're walking into a dungeon lined with empty game boxes.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop