GameStop
2.7 of 5 1,065 reviews
www.GameStop.com Grapevine, TX 5000+ Employees

Fun coworkers, okay company

Game Advisor (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get a lot of face time with customers. You get to help them and build relationships that get them coming back to your store. With the proper training (key words there) you learn some great sales skills. If you like alphabetizing this is your heaven on earth. They're also really good about harassment issues. I had to report my assistant store manager a few months ago and they didn't waste any time fixing. They let me temporarily transfer to a store of my choice while they talked to her (and they also have a non-retaliation policy so you can sleep sound that once it's settled it's settled forever).

ConsThe company doesn't care about you as a person. They don't have a set training system and rely solely on managers to train you. That's fine when you have a great manager. But when you don't you don't get the training you need in order to meet the requirements GameStop sets for you. And when you don't meet those requirements they punish you. They cut your hours and expect you to get better under more pressure, impossible expectations and less time. I'm lucky in that my latest manager is awesome at helping me improve. But I struggled constantly before he was transferred to my store because my other managers didn't care. If you don't have a strong management in your store you have little to no resources to better yourself as a worker on your own. In my experience, upper management (like district managers and higher) relies more on negative reinforcement than positive. So you've got to learn to develop a thick skin. Absorb and learn from the constructive criticism and brush off everything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a day or two in one of your trouble stores. Then you can see how to make them better. I work in the busiest store in my district (and it happens to be in the middle of the ghetto, too) and the regular rules don't apply there. We work our butts off just to keep the store together, let alone keep things up to your impossible standards. Just because they work for a super slow store in the middle of an upscale neighborhood where you don't have kids knocking shelves off the walls every other hour, it doesn't mean they're gonna work for every store you have. I'd suggest spending some time in different stores. Learn how they work and what they are actually capable of doing. And then tailor your requirements appropriately.

Supervisor/Keyholder/3rd Key

Senior Game Advisor (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than a year

Pros: If you enjoy dealing with games and spreading your game… Cons: Over-worked, do as much work as upper management, and get paid… Advice to Senior Management: Give better pay, and don't throw all the work last… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Great job. Wonderful Experience. Very fun enviroment. Lots of perks… Cons: The higher you get on the corporate ladder the worse they treat you.… Advice to Senior Management: Start giving your store managers more credit for all they do.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on GameStop.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameStop reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines. All reviews posted anonymously by GameStop employees.