There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

A frustrating example of doing things hard, not smart.

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Glendale, CA
Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Glendale, CA

I worked at GameStop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally good customers. You can try before you buy. It's easy to build relationships with customers because many of them are regulars.

Cons

A lot of tasks that could be simplified using easily available technology (such as scanners for inventory). Tasks make time management nearly impossible for higher traffic stores. Low traffic stores are not as difficult.

Advice to Management

Work on time management.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Irresponsible, demanding, and uninformed. Detachment from customer base throughout upper management.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Video games are fun and insider info comes quickly.

Cons

The business is driven like a slave-trade. Employees are asked to perform well beyond their compensation from the company.

Advice to Management

Stop flip-flopping on your policies every 6 months. Your turnover is horrible (70%) and every time new people step in they reinstate something that we just got done doing away with. It's a waste of payroll and other company assets. Realize that you can't ask for the Moon from your employees, especially when you pay them at garbage rates.

2. Dull, disorganized, but it's a simple job.

Former Employee - Game Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid on time.

Cons

For the flagship store, it looks rundown and badly put together. The same 20 minutes worth of data in the tv loops all day long, sometimes twice in a row blasting at a high volume. Like with all retail, you have to pester the customers and get an impossible amount of 'promotions' sold, or the managers will berate you. Few people buy promos at midtown Manhattan, it's all tourism.

The system we used at the registers was archaic, we had problems with them at least once a day, and sometimes 3/4 of the computers would fail and we would have to restart them in the middle of a busy day. Overall, the inside of the store just looked grimy no matter how we tried to clean it.

Your employee discount is also garbage, especially if you live at a high tax zone like NYC (nearly 9% tax). It's a 15% discount on all products. For example, a $59.99 new game would become $55.49 after the employee discount and tax application. So don't think you're working here for the employee discount, there isn't really one. "Oh, but you can buy Power Up Pro at $15 a year and you can get an additional 10% off for a total of 25% off." I don't buy used games because that doesn't support the publishers, so the PUP cards are irrelevant.

Advice to Management

Management probably does their best, corporate on the other hand could acknowledge when their design choice for a game store isn't working. It doesn't look clean cut like the Nintendo store, it looks like you're walking into a dungeon lined with empty game boxes.