GameStop

www.gamestop.com
  www.gamestop.com
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

A frustrating example of doing things hard, not smart.

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Glendale, CA
Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Glendale, CA

I worked at GameStop full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generally good customers. You can try before you buy. It's easy to build relationships with customers because many of them are regulars.

Cons

A lot of tasks that could be simplified using easily available technology (such as scanners for inventory). Tasks make time management nearly impossible for higher traffic stores. Low traffic stores are not as difficult.

Work on time management.

1434 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

Fun coworkers, okay company

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a lot of face time with customers. You get to help them and build relationships that get them coming back to your store. With the proper training (key words there) you learn some great sales skills. If you like alphabetizing this is your heaven on earth. They're also really good about harassment issues. I had to report my assistant store manager a few months ago and they didn't waste any time fixing. They let me temporarily transfer to a store of my choice while they talked to her (and they also have a non-retaliation policy so you can sleep sound that once it's settled it's settled forever).

Cons

The company doesn't care about you as a person. They don't have a set training system and rely solely on managers to train you. That's fine when you have a great manager. But when you don't you don't get the training you need in order to meet the requirements GameStop sets for you. And when you don't meet those requirements they punish you. They cut your hours and expect you to get better under more pressure, impossible expectations and less time. I'm lucky in that my latest manager is awesome at helping me improve. But I struggled constantly before he was transferred to my store because my other managers didn't care. If you don't have a strong management in your store you have little to no resources to better yourself as a worker on your own. In my experience, upper management (like district managers and higher) relies more on negative reinforcement than positive. So you've got to learn to develop a thick skin. Absorb and learn from the constructive criticism and brush off everything else.

Spend a day or two in one of your trouble stores. Then you can see how to make them better. I work in the busiest store in my district (and it happens to be in the middle of the ghetto, too) and the regular rules don't apply there. We work our butts off just to keep the store together, let alone keep things up to your impossible standards. Just because they work for a super slow store in the middle of an upscale neighborhood where you don't have kids knocking shelves off the walls every other hour, it doesn't mean they're gonna work for every store you have. I'd suggest spending some time in different stores. Learn how they work and what they are actually capable of doing. And then tailor your requirements appropriately.

Supervisor/Keyholder/3rd Key

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy dealing with games and spreading your game knowledge with others, the job is okay,

Cons

Over-worked, do as much work as upper management, and get paid alot less, the pay is horrible for the work you do

Give better pay, and don't throw all the work last minute on the Senior Game Advisors

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop