GameStop

www.gamestop.com
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Not the best place to work at.

Current Employee - Analyst in Grapevine, TX
Current Employee - Analyst in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Can play video games while at work.

Cons

Very poor compensation with no bonus.

1489 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

Dull, disorganized, but it's a simple job.

Former Employee - Game Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get paid on time.

Cons

For the flagship store, it looks rundown and badly put together. The same 20 minutes worth of data in the tv loops all day long, sometimes twice in a row blasting at a high volume. Like with all retail, you have to pester the customers and get an impossible amount of 'promotions' sold, or the managers will berate you. Few people buy promos at midtown Manhattan, it's all tourism.

The system we used at the registers was archaic, we had problems with them at least once a day, and sometimes 3/4 of the computers would fail and we would have to restart them in the middle of a busy day. Overall, the inside of the store just looked grimy no matter how we tried to clean it.

Your employee discount is also garbage, especially if you live at a high tax zone like NYC (nearly 9% tax). It's a 15% discount on all products. For example, a $59.99 new game would become $55.49 after the employee discount and tax application. So don't think you're working here for the employee discount, there isn't really one. "Oh, but you can buy Power Up Pro at $15 a year and you can get an additional 10% off for a total of 25% off." I don't buy used games because that doesn't support the publishers, so the PUP cards are irrelevant.

Management probably does their best, corporate on the other hand could acknowledge when their design choice for a game store isn't working. It doesn't look clean cut like the Nintendo store, it looks like you're walking into a dungeon lined with empty game boxes.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great job. Wonderful Experience. Very fun enviroment. Lots of perks including free merchandise and employee discount

Cons

The higher you get on the corporate ladder the worse they treat you. You are constantly under pressure and you are not recognized for good performance

Start giving your store managers more credit for all they do. They work long hours and feel very underappreciated most of the time

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop